General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wheel bearings, removal and reinstallation,REAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel bearings, removal and reinstallation,REAR

I took my car to get it inspected and they said that my wheel bearings were out.. Which I knew from the sound comming from the back.. They said that it would be $230 dollars to replace em so I was like F that of course..

I went to autozone and picked up the Timken replacements not the bearins themselves just the assemblys 24.00 per one...

Ive never changed any wheel bearings before and was wondering what all tools that i would need in order to do the job.. Or if anyone had a write up that I can go off of it would be great..

If anyone has any info let me know before I go headfirst and figure out that it might be a little thougher then expected..
Old 09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You basically have to take the rear end cover off. Remove the brake calipers. Get out the c clips. Pull the axles.

Then, use a bearing puller to get the bearing out.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Y would I take the cover off and pull the axels dont seem to me like all that is needed.. but Hell if i know I thought you just pulled the calipers off then rotors knocked out the cover pulled the nut pull out bearing assembly and pack new ones with grease and reinstall??? I could be wrong..
Old 09-14-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cant get the axle seal or bearings out unless you pull the axles out. I would install new seals too.

1-Pull rear axle cover and let drain.

2-Remove rear wheels. Remove calipers, brackets, and rotors.

3-Remove 8mm bolt on diff carrier.

4-Remove pin that 8mm bolt hold in.

5-Push both axles inward and remove c-clips.

6-Remove axles

7-Carefully remove seal with prybay...dont damage the axle tube. You will need a slide hammer and bearing attachment to get the bearings out.

8-Install lubed bearings and seals with seal/bearing driver.

9-Assembly is reverse of above. Dont forget to fill rear diff with limited slip additive and gear oil.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

whats the best way to check for bad rear wheel bearings? also can you install them with a socket the same size as the outer race of the bearing?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's pretty easy to do, more trouble to get the axles out than actually replacing the bearings. Dont get the repair bearings cuz they wont fit, you wont be able to push the axles in far enough to install the c-clips. Also note that if you have trouble pushing the axles in far enough to remove the c-clips its more than likely because you need to remove the traction control sensors from the backing plate. One 10mm(?) bolt per side as I remember.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
blackbirdls1 (02-28-2023)
Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

anyone with any pictures
Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

oh yea forgot what kind of gear oil do i need car has 87k on it is it smart to switch to synthetic and what weight??? and how many do i need..
Old 09-19-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z02LS1
oh yea forgot what kind of gear oil do i need car has 87k on it is it smart to switch to synthetic and what weight??? and how many do i need..
Redline 75W-90, two quarts.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the bearings is not hard to do. Maybe a hour per side taking your time. If you have a lift it would be easier, but can be done on the ground with a jack. A slide hammer is the best way to pull the bearings. IMO I would buy the new bearing not just reatianer. Cause when you start to pull the bearing out of the tubes the old retainers distort and when the bearings come out they can go every where. Find them all will take to much time. You might want to see you can rent a axle bearing install tool from Advanced or some parts store or a GM dealer. Cause the bearing have to set at a certian depth on the axle where the smooth part is or you might be back in there. BTW if you have posi unit in the rear end there is small additive that goes back in the read end along with fluid.

Last edited by RsSean; 09-19-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings, removal and reinstallation,REAR