General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hit a curb

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a curb

So I was taking the fiance to mcdonalds for a quick shake and it was dark outside and with my 5% tint it gets hard to see. So after spending 6 hours on my car yesterday and 3 today putting a wheel hub on, painting calipers, and then figuring out why i was getting tire vibration on the other wheel (the one i didn't put a new hub on), I take the turn too sharp to pull in to mcdonalds and my car jumps the curb. i am hoping to god i didn't do anything because i just put so much time into it and it is really frusturating. so when i got the car back home, i felt a rattling when the car was stopped but in drive...it was on the pass side of the center consol and when i pushed on it, the rattling went away...??? so then i drove it and that went away. the body of the car didn't hit and the curb was rounded and only 5 inches tall. so im wondering what kind of damage could have possibly been done and am i just freaking out about this...i swear i keep hearing stuff i didn't hear before. like little crreeks and vibrations at low speeds when turning and stopping, but maybe im just hearing things...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hum, not sure what your question is here. Are you feeling that the alignment is off at all? Like wont drive in a straight line?

Quit going to McDonalds, btw - not good for you or your car as far as I can see
Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

dude dont worry about every squeak and vibration, you drive an Fbody.

Once you get LT's you get to deal with a TON of rattles, even 2 screws in my doors have shaken loose.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I am just too much of a perfectionist when it comes to cars I guess man. Well my tires aren't showing wear that would point to alignment issue. When I turn hard left and put weight on the passenger side where i hit the curb, i get almost like a clicking/scratching soung from the right side dash almost...really wierd. And after i drive the car for a bit, and i come to a stop with it in drive, i get this rattling on the passenger side, about even with the front seats, behind the console where the carpet meets the rubber piece that opens. and it gets louder if i sit there longer in drive. it wasn't doing that before. When i turn and put pressure on the right side i also get what i think might be a grinding but it isn't that loud so i can't tell.

I am wondering if it could have knocked something loose. I mean, what is the worst damage it could do?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

I am wondering if it could have knocked something loose. I mean, what is the worst damage it could do?[/QUOTE]

Maybe a few heat shields. Worst it coud do is endless. If you hit a curb hard enough you can shift bearings adn reatiners around. How hard did you hit the curb. 5mph
Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i mean it was maybe 5.... not that fast. and only the front wheel went over i think...I mean it drives fine, especially at high speeds. could it have done anything with the motor mount? i mean, my real concern in this rattling that i am getting at the back of the center console.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

it was also a rounded curb and it was only 5 inches or so high
Old 09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt you did any real damage, probably just jiggled a heat shield loose (I have a loose one and it drives me insane but I can't find it!) and the noise in the console, well, that could be totally unrelated, pull it up and see if you can find the source of the noise.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i was thinking the same thing man...there is no way i did that much damage, but where are the heat shields located and what could be under that console that could be rattling?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh yea...i started to hear a slight and dull engine knock after this happened, what could cause that? i know it is impossible to tell w/out hearing it but it doesn't sound like it is on the top end and it only does it after i drive a little bit, same with the vibrations on the back pass. side of the console, only after driving a bit.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok so i had to get the tires balanced and 2 of them rotated so I did that today, i was looking under the car and couldn't see anything that looked like structural damage at all. and so im just not gonna worry about it until it gives me trouble. The only thing that looked like it could have been making noise was the emergency brake lines...so i twisty tied those.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

I back onto a 5 inch high rounded curb driveway every damn day... quit yer whining lol
Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol I know I know, when it comes to my car I whine too much...It stresses me out more than school and other stuff lol...You know it is bad when you are in the car and you have your fiance with you and she is telling you a story and u don't know what she said at all because u are listening to the car.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

what do you think about the y pipe hitting, or possibly a heat shield?