General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ENGINE COOLANT TEMP gauge NOT working!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ENGINE COOLANT TEMP gauge NOT working!?!?!?!?

This is a 1998 LS1 6-speed Trans Am. My entire gauge cluster works perfectly EXCEPT for my engine coolant temperature gauge. I have a diablosport predator scanner on the car for now to keep an eye on the temps and bought a new stock replacement coolant temperature sensor at the dealer that goes into the cylinder head and still nothing. I know im getting good readings from my predator because its just common sense that the coolant/engine would be over xxx* degrees after a few minutes of driving or idling. NOW WHAT THE HELL DO I CHECK FOR TO TROUBLESHOOT THIS???, THAT IS THE ONLY GAUGE NOT WORKING PROPERLY AT THE MOMENT AND ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT MIGHT I ADD thanks in advance (i hope this is the right section btw)
Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unplug the sensor and grab a jumper wire. Jumper from the dark green wire to ground and watch the gauge....it should peg it to full hot. If it doesnt you either have a problem with the signal circuit from the sensor to the cluster, or a cluster problem.

If your scan tool is reading the temp properly, the sensor must be working, and the ground and signal circuits to the PCM must be good. I would check the integrity of that dark green circuit from the sensor to the cluster. If its good, you have a bad cluster.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or check the sensor connector. If you can have some one jiggle or move the connector wire around while car is running. It might be open therefore no signal return. Just a lil something I encountered a couple of weeks ago.

Quick Reply: ENGINE COOLANT TEMP gauge NOT working!?!?!?!?