General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Whine??

Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Whine??

This is about my 2004 GP, the car I bought for my fiancé. The car wouldn't start for her/kept dying for about 20 min when she was trying to leave school. Well, she finally got it started and took it to the dealership (Harbor) because we still have the warranty, and figured, while there, she should bring up that the car has been making a whining noise while driving. The car has been making the sound for about a month or so. Anyway, so then we get a call from them a few hours later saying that it was my power steering pump.. and that I was low on fluid, but they couldn't find a leak anywhere. I have been checking the fluid about every week and last week it was fine.. I guess my question after rambling with all this useless information is, is there no possibility of the whine coming from the transmission or any where else? There is no whine at all when turning the wheel, and gets louder when accelerating. Is it possible for the pump to NOT whine while turning, if that’s what the problem is? I just don't like how they call and say I need a $150 power steering flush, and have no information on why the car wouldn't start. I don’t trust the Stealerships.

Thanks in advance, and sorry so long.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could be a pump...usually they will change pitch when you turn the wheel if its the pump making the noise. Try this...take off the drive belt and start the car. Dont let it run for longer than 10-15 seconds. See if the noise goes away...if it does you know its the p/s, water pump, alternator, a/c, or an idler or tensioner pulley.

Sometimes if the fluid level gets low the pump will start making noise and will continue to make noise even after the fluid level is correct. It usually takes time for the pump to stop whining after its been low cause the fluid is still aerated.

If its under warranty let them screw with it. Tell them to fix it and you wont take it back until its fixed. I highly doubt a p/s flush will fix it.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is the steering pump no doubt in my mind. Happened to my 02 WS6 I went around a corner at speed and it sounded like i put a supercharger on the car. I doubt a power stearing flush will be really any better then going to a gas station and refilling the pump with more fluid. Mine had no obvious leaks but there is greasy residue by my filler cap so it may be the cap not sealing right. Fill it back up with fluid and see what happens then go from there. Takes 5 seconds and no need to pull anything apart.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
It is the steering pump no doubt in my mind. Happened to my 02 WS6 I went around a corner at speed and it sounded like i put a supercharger on the car. I doubt a power stearing flush will be really any better then going to a gas station and refilling the pump with more fluid. Mine had no obvious leaks but there is greasy residue by my filler cap so it may be the cap not sealing right. Fill it back up with fluid and see what happens then go from there. Takes 5 seconds and no need to pull anything apart.
mine did the same. every time i took a really hard corner or slid the rear out it would sound like i had a roots blower for the rest of the drive. it would go away after the car sat overnight, so im assuming air bubbles? I topped off the power steering fluid, and never again.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha who needs power steering? i removed mine. solved my blown PS pump problems and reduced a lil weight
Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

LOL not too concerned with weight reduction on my Grand Prix.. The pump isn't covered under the warranty and would have cost about $250 all together. No thanks.. and the reason for it not starting, he said was the fuel pump starting to go out. Which would be covered, but it's not bad enough yet. So I picked the car up, $97 later, put fluid in whining stopped.. and still dies every so often. Thanks guys for all your help. Now I'm just waiting for the $1,000.00 fuel pump to get worse lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Whine??