General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration/ Rattle near shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Vibration/ Rattle near shifter

I just installed heads, ARHs, and a 12-bolt w/ 4.11s. When I go WOT, around 4k rpms the shifter seems to become very noisy, rattling and vibrating. I have a Lou's short stick. It always made a little bit of noise after removing the stock rubber-mounted stick, and I could make the minor vibration go away by grabbing ahold of the stick, but now, only at WOT, it vibrates and rattles like crazy, and even grabbing ahold of the shifter doesn't stop it.

I know I added a bunch more hp with the heads and LTs, so is this just something that comes with the territory, or do I have a problem? It's fine during normal driving. The car runs fine, just this vibration/ rattle at WOT. Any ideas, or anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you checked the screws the hold the stick to the shifter?

I had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be the screws backing out. (The loose lockwashers were causing the rattle.) I had re-used the hardware from my long stick but found that I had to go to a different type of lockwasher and some lock-tite to keep everything in place.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Tranny mount went bad?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chaman
Tranny mount went bad?
I don't know, can you visually tell if the mounts are bad? I'd hate to swap 'em out for the heck of it.

Also, I think I'm going to install a set of BMR lowering brackets I've had laying around. Since I added all this hp, wheel hop has become a problem.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Just an update, I drove the car today and the vibration was gone. Since I very recently installed a Strange 12-bolt and a Strange CM DS, do you think it's possible that the driveline and rear suspension components were just sorting themselves out? Thanks.

Last edited by Predator; 09-18-2008 at 10:41 AM.