General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help, a few crazy things happening.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, a few crazy things happening.

Howdy all,
I have a 96 T/A and just ran into a couple issues that i could use some outside insight on. First off, this just started, when i turn left hard, i get this hideous whine slash metallic noise, balljoints??? Also i just installed an Msd 6a box and now it triggered my check engine light. Is this normal, i still havent hooked it up to diagnostics yet to see the code. Lastly, the security light now has decided to come on at random points, and my car wont start unless i disconnect the battery and reconnect. have any of you had a problem with the security system as well? Thanks for any help guys, I'll be workin on the ole T/A this weekend gettin her back on the road.

thanks again and God bless
Eric
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the same problem with the security some times... in for answers
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Well the noise you hear when turning is probably the wear indicator tabs on your brake pads. They are designed to hit the rough part of the rotor when the pads need to be changed, before the rotors get damaged.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ghardester - What changes on the rotors and brake pads when you turn??? Nothing does. If it was the wear indicators it would do it all the time not just when turning. Also, its not designed to contact the "rough part of the rotor". Its made to contact the rotor where the brake pad rides when the pad gets thin enough for it to touch.

I would check ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, front hubs, etc for the noise. Check codes for the check engine light, and the security light is probably either a worn key, worn ignition cylinder, or a combination of both.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Default security light...

i had the same issue with my car but resetting it didnt work, and rather than taking it to a dealer or shop to spend lots of money diagnosing it, take your key and a multimeter, check the resistance of the chip and get a resistor with the same polarity, (x.xx ohms) cut your ignition wire under the steering wheel panel and hard wire the resistor into the wire itself, should be either yellow or red... i did it to my car and it fired right up and hasnt tripped the security light yet... it is a .50 cent temporary fix and the only draw back is you lose some assurance your car wont get jacked due to less security, but thats what full coverage is for... Hope it helps, if not i can send you a pic of my mod so you dont start cutting wrong wires... Jeremy
Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a front wheel bering going out.
Check the drivers side first.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Teching In

awesome guys, thanks for the tips, jjsnyprus pm coming and thanks for the help

Search this Thread