General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Fluid Everywhere....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Everywhere....

Last weekend i noticed my PS getting a little sluggish but being how busy i am with my new job i finally got time to take a look at it today. ANyway, i noticed it was a wee bit low so i topped her off and it felt better as i turned the wheel in my driveway. I went to move the car into the street and it got sluggish again. So i opened the hood, didnt see any leaks or anything but as i got back in the car and turned the wheel from side to side (car still running) my dad came runnin over sayin theres **** FLYING EVERYWHERE. so he got in the car and turned the wheel and sure enough PS fluid is spraying everwhere cause whereever its leaking from is sprayin it right onto the belts wich in turn is throwing it everywhere.
Where do u guys think its coming from? im new to all this but i need this fixed ASAP bc its my DD. is it ok to still drive it?

-ADAM
(its the 01 SS BTW)
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you keep the reseviour full it is ok but remember that fluid will eat paint and is super messy.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Launching!

I had something similar to that happen recently. Turns out that the return line from the rack and pinion had a pinhole worn through from 13 years of age. It sprayed that **** all on my undercarriage and such.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a hole in one of the lines, as mentioned before. sometimes the reservoir can crack and leak, but yours sounds like the fluid is under pressure
Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, it's the high pressure line. Get under the car while it's on and have someone turn the wheel. You'll see where it's coming from, but I guarantee it's the line.

$30 bucks from your local auto parts store and installation is simpler than you'd think.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same thing here, P/S fluid gushed everywhere but only after I turned the wheel.

Turned out to be leaking at the high pressure line going into the P/S pump itself. I took the pump off and it was clear where the leak ( i mean gush) was coming from. Cleaned it all up, replaced the nut and washer, snug! and all has been good since.

Oh yeah, and I had to clean up all under the car too, what a mess.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Everywhere....