General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter engages but motor doesn't turn over.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Starter engages but motor doesn't turn over.

I'm thinking I might have a flexplate issue. I came home last night after a short drive where I punched it a couple blocks away from home. I had the radio up real loud so if anything gave out at that time I probably didn't hear it and it was running fine.

Here's where the messed up part starts. When I went to pull into my neighborhood I turned the radio down and heard an awful clunking, grinding, squealing, type of sound. I immediately turned the car off and then I started it again and it seemed back to normal.

So then I pulled in the garage shut it off and started it again and this little grinding noise I had been hearing when the starter would engage seemed a lot worse so I tried to start it again and now all I get is the starter whirring.

I had it to a shop a few months back to have the tranny fluid changed and I asked them about the noise it was making when it started and they said they didn't hear anything abnormal. I asked another guy about it that knows more about cars than me and he told me it was probably just a missing starter tooth or something, I could try changing out the starter. I figured I'd live with it if it didn't get any worse and it never did until last night.

I would normally think it's just the starter but that clunking/grinding/squealing noise that I heard first leads me to believe it's probably not. Does this sound like it could be a flexplate issue or maybe something else?

I also notice now if I leave the key in the run position the check gauges and SES lights stay on. I don't have a code puller but all the guages look to be in the normal range. Is this normal for those to stay on until you actually start it?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i leave my key on run it does the same so i think that is common on that part
Old 10-04-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

The gauges are fine. Pull the starter and take a look. If it is the flexplate, the tranny will have to be taken down. < But I am pretty sure you don't want to hear that. Hopefully it is just a jacked up starter.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Flexplate and starter are shot.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Holly ******* ****. WTF happened?

I have not seen this on F-Body yet.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Any update on this?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I would say it was a faulty part. There is no way a starter could do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter engages but motor doesn't turn over.