Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitment Problem with QTP longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Angry Fitment Problem with QTP longtubes

I just bolted them on tonight and I could barley fit a piece of paper between the k-member and the header on the passenger side. I haven't got the car completely together yet but it looks like it going to bang pretty good. I've seen the same problem before with QTPs on the forum but just thought it was a seldom few that had problems

Just letting anyone thinking about dropping $700+ on the QTPs to make sure you've got a grinder/hammer ready when you try to install them. But the LS1 does torque to the left under load so I won't have to do too much, still a pain to pay out the *** and have fitment problems.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't feel so bad about my $200 E-Bay headers now.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
I don't feel so bad about my $200 E-Bay headers now.
Word.......I got my ebay headers for $160
Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

did you have the collector up as close to the floorboard while you tightened the bolts? don't forget to upgrade the motor mounts.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
did you have the collector up as close to the floorboard while you tightened the bolts? don't forget to upgrade the motor mounts.
I tried to, didn't have anyone to help me out so I was holding the header up with one hand and trying to tighten the bolts with the other. With someone pushing from the bottom I might be able to squeeze out some more room. How much clearance you guys think I'd need to keep from banging? If anyone's close to hitting but not can you post up pics?

I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place cause I don't want to beat on my headers and I REALLY don't want to hack on the k-member.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2 on the upgraded motor mounts.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats weird mine fit great. I guess every car is different.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

I put a small floor jack under the collector and used it to hold it close to the bottom of the car while I tightened the bolts. You've got to use a light touch on that jack though to ensure no damage. (You don't want to just jack the **** out of it....)
Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

My car only has 53k miles on it and I figured the motor mounts would be fine, but I guess they might make the differance. Just a little worried about getting everything to line back up after I replace them.

Othen than the k-memeber issues everything else was cake. I actually had to use a jack stand to hold the passenger side header in place for me to start the header bolts, otherwise it would just fall out. I'm use to thirdgens and have installed a couple sets of headers on my old '91 and '92 maros. An easy way to **** a thirdgen guy off is to tell him you can get a torque wrench on the back header bolt on the driver's side. LS1 > L98

Originally Posted by Weezzer
I put a small floor jack under the collector and used it to hold it close to the bottom of the car while I tightened the bolts. You've got to use a light touch on that jack though to ensure no damage. (You don't want to just jack the **** out of it....)
My only worry was putting too much pressure and damaging the header. Also if the jack is too high it puts the header bolts in a bind and the last thing I want to do is strips threads.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

With all of the header flange bolts in, but 'lightly snugged,' you can push the collector up a little bit by yourself. You need the bolts loose enough that you can wiggle it, but tight enough that it'll stay where you push it. Easy to adjust on your own once they're up in there.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Alright, I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight. I'm interested to see just how much it would move, I would think it would be much but it might be enough. I'll take before and after pics and post results. Can anyone with QTPs get some pics to show how much clearance they have between the pass side header and k-memeber?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kooks were darn close (1/8"?) to the k-member on the passenger side. I wasn't sure if it hit at that spot, but because the y-pipe was banging the floor, I installed the poly motor mounts. This fixed the y-pipe banging and also slightly increased clearance on the k-member. Problems solved!

I'm afraid you won't get much relief from loosening the header bolts and adjusting the header. Give it a try. But what some people do is grind the k-member down, but I don't think that always a good idea, it depends on what part of the k-member is hitting.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

I've got QTPs, installed them alone about 8 or 9 months ago. Total pain, had the EXACT same situation you have. Totally pissed me off. Polyurathane motor mount on just the passengers side made enough clearance and eliminated the banging, even under hard launches. R&R the motor mounts is no slice of heaven either. Once again alone in the garage, I am very methodical, OK, fussy. I dorked around with it for about 6 hours to get it installed. $20K miles on my 02 Trans Am. The stock motor mount was flawless. And I was just like you, didn't want to dimple my new headers and didn't want to mess up my K member either.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Damn it, from the sounds of it I'll probably have to get new motor mounts whether I readjust my header or not. I was trying to avoid that PITA but looks like it's the best way to go, just wish I would have looked checked my clearance before I torqued the bolts down. Hopefully my gasket didn't mash too much and I can reuse it.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hopefully you're using MLS gaskets cause they're reusable.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

i had the same problem myself with my qtp's, and i also refuse to dent my headers so i guess im going to try new motor mounts..
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
hopefully you're using MLS gaskets cause they're reusable.
I got the Fel-Pros from Advance, not sure if they are multi-layer or not but they are metal.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
My only worry was putting too much pressure and damaging the header. Also if the jack is too high it puts the header bolts in a bind and the last thing I want to do is strips threads.
Tis why I included the phrase: "You don't want to just jack the **** out of it...."
Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, this is what I started with

After some readjusting I'm pretty suprised that I got as much clearance as I did but it still looks like there's a good chance that it will hit. If it does I'll get the poly mounts and fix it for good.

This is a pic of what I had to do to get those extra millimeters of clearance. An extra set of hands would've been awesome, but hey, whatchya gonna do

Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Teching In

not to be a newb but.. how much are motor mounts and how much labor/time is required on average to change them out>? Im looking to geting qtp's down the road and with my luck im def going to have this problem so good to know now b4 i get myself into this problem =p