Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing GMMG, LPP LT headers, ORY..jack stands or ramps???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing GMMG, LPP LT headers, ORY..jack stands or ramps???

Never installed anything before on my car or any car for that matter, but I have a GMMG exhaust, and will soon have LPP SS LT headers and LPP SS ORY that will need to go on the car('94 trans am). I want to do the work myself or with the help of friends, should I get jack stands or ramps to do this job...I want to spend minimal cash, but I want to be safe and get the best set or combo for my money. Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brucealmighty744
Never installed anything before on my car or any car for that matter, but I have a GMMG exhaust, and will soon have LPP SS LT headers and LPP SS ORY that will need to go on the car('94 trans am). I want to do the work myself or with the help of friends, should I get jack stands or ramps to do this job...I want to spend minimal cash, but I want to be safe and get the best set or combo for my money. Thanks
Snowballs chance in hell you'll get up ramps. I tried three different sets. Nose is too big.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:29 AM
Teching In

I would recommend jack stands just for the extra room you might need under the car. I have both, and tried to do install my mids with ramps and it just wasn't high enough. Ramps will probably do fine and are good for oil changes, but if you need a few more inches you are SOL.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 AM
On The Tree

I had to jack the car way up in the air to get the LT's in, but after that you could use ramps i guess if you felt saver with them. I used jack stands on there highest level and never had a problem. Also so if you want to do some suspension work later on you will need to have jack stands.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jack the fornt end as high as it will go with the jack, then put the ramps under the tires. I do that ALL the time.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about a bird, but I can get my Camaro up ramps.

I drive the front on ramps. Then jack the rear end up and put 8x8 cement blocks underneath the rear tires. Then I jack the front up a little more and remove the ramps and put 8x8 cement blocks underneath the front tires. Then go up as high as I need and put 4 jackstands underneath the front/rear frame rails (if you can call them that).

This way I have the jackstands to get the height that I need, and the cement blocks for added security if a jackstand would happen to fail.

I like to be safe.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lift.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, I had to go higher on the rear to get the GMMG over the rear axle then I had to do to even get the headers in.

Almost gave up and either was gonna drop the rear or take it somewhere where I could get it up on a lift.

Finally got it high enough to get it over the axle, but you have to reach for the sky... I also had to take the right rear wheel off to **** that bitch to get it over.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

i just jack up the rear first then put my ramps under the rear tires and set the car down then jack up the front and put 2 of the larger style jack stands under the front k member and that gives more room on the sides of the car with out the stands in the way.

Quick Reply: installing GMMG, LPP LT headers, ORY..jack stands or ramps???