Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley Alignment. PS pump pulley too far back? Throwing belts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pulley Alignment. PS pump pulley too far back? Throwing belts...

Hey all. Just some quick info. Motor is a 99 LS1. ASP underdrive. Head/cam motor that sees 7000 rpm on occasion. Ive been having issues with the belt trying to slip off during spirited driving. Doesnt even have to be a WOT run...just spirited.

Now...Ive read up on changing the tensioner pulley using either the Regal pulley or a billet set up like Katech's. But Im thinking my problem might be elsewhere.

When looking at the belt, I notice that the power steering pump pulley seems to be sitting too far towards the back of the car. I also noticed some black rubber dust on the front of the alt. Its very fine, and its not carbon or grease or anything else..it has to be belt rubber. Which sort of makes sense. If the belt is being pushed towards the rear of the alt pulley, it might get scuffed up. The rear of the pulley is sort of, sharp. Hard to explain, but I can take pics.

Couple questions on this...see what you guys think.

1. Whats the best/easiest way to check the pulley alignment? So I can actually see if the PS pump pulley is not in the right place.

2. Can the PS pump pulley wear out from repeated removal/installation? Or is it possible that I pushed it on too far, and the taper deformed allowing it to sit back farther?

Any and all ideas are welcomed. The belt hasnt popped off all the way yet, but I dont want to wait until it does. Especially because I take fairly long highway trips every other week.

Thanks!

Justin
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a slightly older thread of mine. Figured Ide bump her on up.

I fixed my belt hopping issue. I put a supercharged Buick Regal pulley on and no more walking belts.

Unfortunatly, now Im noticing a TON of belt dust all over my motor. Its on top the intake, around the TB, on the front of the water pump, and all over the alt.

Im still thinking my PS pump pulley could be pushed back too far. But Im looking for confirmation that this is possible...or that it has ever happened. This is why I hate not having bolt acess holes in the PS pulley. I feel that if something is a press fit, the more times you take it off and put it on, its going to wear. Maybe its not as easy as I think for that to happen.

Im thinking about ordering a billet pulley from somewhere. I just cant seem to figure out where the belt is rubbing or getting scuffed. There is no obvious damage to the belt either. Perhaps a tiny bit on the side towards the motor.

Here are a couple pics...though they dont really say much.

Dust around the alt. Looks the same around the water pump...guess its carrying around.

You can see its not like its crooked by a whole ton or anything. The rear of the alt pulley is sorta sharp, so I thought maybe under load, it was trying to walk back, and getting scuffed by the alt pulley.

Thats the tough thing...it might only be doing it under load, and I cant really simulate that in the driveway. I guess I could try to mount a camera under there while driving...but thats a crap shoot.

Any ideas fellas?

J.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Im gonna post a pic of my power steering pulley and show you two things, how to get around having the hell of pulling the pulley and how far my pulley sits back on the pump, im thinkin you might just be slipping the belt from not enough tension causing the dust? Also could you provide me with more info on the pulley you used, the buick pulley please?

gonna go take that pic, be a few minutes.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

You can use a bit similar to this, a porting bit, to make the holes to access the bolts, my holes are a little over board in size but it works so whatever.

http://www.adrenaline-motorsports.co...5A3E7E93B87%7d

here in the pics you should be able to fit only the black tip part of the pen between the pulley and the resevoir, this is on the left side of the hump in the resevoir ( left side while facing it ), I noticed there was less room on the right side.

hope this helps

Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you certain it's not simply that your crank pulley isn't on all the way?

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use a long straightedge across each pulley, don't forget to allow for the width of the sheave (you want to check the depth to the actual belt seating area).

Russ
Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys... In order...

00pooterSS: Thanks for the pictures man!!! It might be alittle hard to judge especially if its only off by 1mm or something strange, but Im definatly going to use your pictures and see what I have.

Im not sure about belt tension. Im using the stock tensioner, and it doesnt seem messed up. But I guess its always possible that its slipping. Im not sure how to check if a spring style tensioner is good or not. Maybe I should just get a manual billet one or something. Ide like to rule out the other stuff first...and Ill tell you why.

Alittle background. This motor was in my 87 TA. EXACTLY as it sits now as far as accessories go. I never had a belt walking problem. I pulled the motor and installed it into my 86 TA. The ONLY thing I messed with was pulling the PS pulley, then putting it back on and replacing the belts. After that, I had belt walking issues. Maybe its because I went from a straight ribbed belt to the "gator back" belt? But I never had the dust either.

To stop the belt walking, I put on the Regal pulley. I found out about it here on the site.

Stock

Regal

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...swap-pics.html

That solved my walking issue...but soon after the dust issue started. So my only assumption was, now that the belt cant walk, its still trying to walk, and is getting scrubbed on whichever pulley it was walking off of. Thats sort of why Im blaming the PS pulley alignment. Im going to check out the tensioner and make sure the dust isnt from the regal pulley or something like that.

Scoggin Dickey: Im not CERTAIN certain. But I doubt its my crank pulley. The motor had an ASP on it when I got it, and I havent touched it. Like I mentioned above, the only thing that changed that seemed to cause the walking was the removal/installation of the PS pulley. I wont disregard the crank pulley idea though. Ill check into it.

S10xGN: Ive tried to run a straight edge...only problem is, there is so much junk in the way, getting a nice straight shot is tough. Im going to try it again though once I start to dig into this issue. Probably next week.

Thanks again for the suggestions and brain storming fellas. Ill check things over better, and give an update just to keep the thread from dead ending. Hopefully its something simple...and hopefully it wont require a new PS pump or some other major replacement. I dont think I want to try to back the pulley off the pump...because Im afraid it wont hold as good since it was pressed further already.

J.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Measuring this way it is 3/16" space between the back of the pulley and the resevoir. hope this is more helpful than my super precise bic pen lol

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man thanks!! I tried to go out and measure, but its still friggin raining. I cant even open my hood...water will come spouting right down into my air filter. haha. Damn thirdgen hoods hold like 4 gallons of water in them after getting wet. And it doesnt come out until you open the hood. haha.

Ill check it out tomorrow hopefully. Ill let ya know what I find.

Thanks again!

J.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Damn man thanks!! I tried to go out and measure, but its still friggin raining. I cant even open my hood...water will come spouting right down into my air filter. haha. Damn thirdgen hoods hold like 4 gallons of water in them after getting wet. And it doesnt come out until you open the hood. haha.

Ill check it out tomorrow hopefully. Ill let ya know what I find.

Thanks again!

J.

Damn that sucks, lmao, so your screen name matches your ride for sure

And your welcome, I know how it can be when something drives you to your wits end and someone out there can easily help you. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont know if Ide go as far as to call her "ghetto" Im not sure why they didnt design the innards of the hood better though. haha. You put vents in, which let water in...which has no where to go.

Just for fun... I got my screen name from my first car. 1967 Bonneville 4 door hardtop. Pontiac 400...TH400. Loved that car. When I got it, it was puke green with a white top. And the rear was rusted all to hell. So I picked up the name ghettocruiser.

Here she is.

Put on a new rear clip (fun job), primed the whole thing, rebuilt the motor...then sold her shortly after getting my 87 WS6.

"murdered out" and I didnt even realize it. haha

Now thats the "ghettocruiser"

Sorry...sorta hijacked my own thread. Im bored and posting old *** pictures is fun. hahaha.

J.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Dont know if Ide go as far as to call her "ghetto" Im not sure why they didnt design the innards of the hood better though. haha. You put vents in, which let water in...which has no where to go.

J.

Damn that **** is lookin good, I like it. Especially with those wheels on it.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah she's not bad lookin. Probably the straightest all original thirdgen Ive seen. No accidents, no hits, no replacements parts, no repaint.

That retarded 80's fade sticker between the blue and silver is coming off, and the car is probably getting a repaint soon. Going back and forth on color right now. I like the dark blue metallic... but I miss my black 87.

Weather is still dumping crap on us. So it looks like tomorrow Ill have to measure the pulley and check it against your picture/measurement.

J.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok...I measured. I get really darn close to 3/16" from the back of my pulley to the reservoir...if not exactly 3/16".

So...I guess unless the entire pump is mis-aligned, I gotta look elsewhere.

Im questioning my belt tensioner now. I can move it by hand without TOO much effort. But thats up to interpretation. Maybe Ill try replacing that next. Ide like to get a Katech...but its too rich for my blood right now. So Ill try a stocker.

Can the tensioner getting weak cause dust like that? From 7000rpm belt slip?

J.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok...I measured. I get really darn close to 3/16" from the back of my pulley to the reservoir...if not exactly 3/16".

So...I guess unless the entire pump is mis-aligned, I gotta look elsewhere.

Im questioning my belt tensioner now. I can move it by hand without TOO much effort. But thats up to interpretation. Maybe Ill try replacing that next. Ide like to get a Katech...but its too rich for my blood right now. So Ill try a stocker.

Can the tensioner getting weak cause dust like that? From 7000rpm belt slip?

J.

Yes tensioners can get weak, I can hear my belt squeal on sprited runs and im only runnin up to 6600 limit and 6400 shift point.

Yeah I would also suggest trying that tensioner.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take a hard look at the crank pulley. Also what brand of belt are you running?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Im going to check the crank pulley out as best I can. Im pretty sure its good to go though. I had no belt dust in the 87...took the motor out, put it in the 86, and right away had dust and walking off the pulleys.

I was running regular gates style belts before. When I put the motor in the 86, I switched to brand new gator back belts. And then when I installed the regal pulley, I put another new belt on. I guess its possible that the belt I installed wasnt the correct size. I couldnt read a number off the belt that was on there, so I went with the closest one I could get.

Maybe thats my problem. Maybe I should find out what the correct length is for an ASP pulley and see how it compares to what I have. Im starting to think its slipping under WOT and higher RPMs. I got some thinkin and checkin out to do.

J.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do all the pullies appear to be spinning smooth, no wobble or anything? The reason I ask is because my ASP pulley warped and started throwing belts @ high RPM. I switched to a powerbond and no more problems.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I seem to remember my ASP having a little bit of movement. But Im sorta dumb to underdrive pulleys and which is best, so I just left it alone. I keep hearing mixed things about them though, so Im going to look it over, and maybe take a quick video with it running and see what everyone thinks. Maybe thats compounding my problem.

Does the "powerbond" pulley you got to replace your ASP do the same thing? As I said..>Im sorta dumb to the aftermarket crank pullies, so I wouldnt know the benefits of one over the other.

J.

Quick Reply: Pulley Alignment. PS pump pulley too far back? Throwing belts...