Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping LS1 intake on an LM7; worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping LS1 intake on an LM7; worth it?

My Avalanche (with the 5.3L LM7) has been throwing a P0302 code any time it is under load above 3500 RPM (misfire on #2). I've already ruled out plug/wire/coil/injector, and will be checking it today for a leaking intake manifold gasket.

Assuming it is the gasket, if I already have to pull the intake manifold, would it be worth it to throw on an LS1 intake? I'm sure I can pick one up from someone for next to nothing, as everyone yanks them for LS6, FAST, etc.

My questions are:
- Will I see any gains whatsoever going to an LS1 intake?
- Will it be a direct swap, or will I have to do some other minor things to make it work?
- Is it worth the effort at all, on a basically stock daily driver?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will lose HP and TQ!!
minor adjustments are required like "intake , rails, injectors to start with, then you will need the injector plugs to wire into your harness, then you will need to relocate the idler pulley on the alt bracket down and to the side to clear the TB since itll sit lower. Also you will need to do some work on the water pump"
now swapping to the LS6 intake would be a different story!! same parts but better manifold

your looking at
intake -- LS1-$50 LS6-350
injectors -- LS1-$30 LS6-$60
fuel rail -- $40
injector plugs -- MSD part from summit $25
bracket -- hope you have some FAB skills
new belt -- $20
water pump and hose -- $150 +/-

Now if you have the DBW throttle body there are some more things that need to be addressed!

Quick Reply: Swapping LS1 intake on an LM7; worth it?