Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install questions

I am getting some headers next week and am wondering if I can install them. I have never done it before, but I am competent and can follow directions. any pointers or any helpful advice?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

You can do it. I took my time and installed my QTPs over a weekend. FYI, QTPs are just about the longest of the longtubes, so I had to get the front end a good ways up in the air. Other than that, very straightforward and not too difficult. Just take your and don't rush it. FYI, you will want to take your coil packs off the valve covers, this will give you alot more room to work with up top, and go ahead take you plugs out as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are tons of write up out there choose the most detailed one you can.

tips

spray all bolts that need to be removed with wd40 or pb blaster 2 nites before you do it and continue until you do the install.

disconect you steering linkage

remove coil pacs/mounts

change motor mounts at the same time it will nvr get easier

make sure all tools are readily availible for install

beer!

take your time dont rush and relax this is suposed to b fun remeber that. and bring a friend so you arnt the only one losing blood lol
Old 11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Very good point on motor mounts transam98! I did not do that and regretted it later!
Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might as well change plugs too! Definitely do it yourself, just take your time and you shouldn't have a problem.
Which longtubes did you buy?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

You can do it yourself as long as you can get the car pretty high. They should go rite in. I would do the motor mounts will your doing it also. Its a little more work but you will be happy when you y-pipe doesn't bang.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Header and y-pipe was a snap. I didn't remove anything else besides the exhaust, 02s, wires, and spark plugs. Motor mounts were a bitch though.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Yes you can do it I did mine last weekend, my thread is a page or so down from this one, titled the same as yours I printed the write-up on the QTP header install from the exhaust sticky as a guide. You only need plenty of time and patience, the right tools (air tools are a God-send!), and your car as high as you can safely have it! I left my coilpacks on but most say take em off, your call. I don't understand the taking the steering linkage loose though?? Unless it has to do with the changing of the motor mounts which I did not do?? It just never came into play neither taking the stock manifolds off or putting the LTs in? I agree it is the right time to change plugs and wires. (I got in on the MSD/NGK deal in the sponsors section.) It took me all of Sat and part of Sun but it was a great way to spend the weekend! It sounds great! Runs like a scalded dog! With my Kooks there is no clearance issues and no banging of the Y on the floorboard. I love it! You won't believe how good it feels to do it yourself instead of taking it somewhere and paying a few hundred bucks for someone else to do it

Jman
Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

cake work! make sure you have a ratcheting 10mm wrench to get the stock header bolts out..... use a longer 10mm to crack them loose and get them out with the ratcheting wrench. this will save you alot of time.... the stock header bolts have a sealer on them so they cant be loosened by hand until they are on the last few threads.... get the car high enough in the air that you can put the longtubes in from underneath.... this way you should not have to disconnect the steering rack. I recommend getting a set of the lpp headers in the sponsor forum black02ss is his name..... $600 with an ORY cant beat that... and they are stainless. I have the xs headers which the lpp were copied off of and revised.... things went beautifully... pm me if your having trouble during the install
Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot guys. I am probably going to do the install myself, the only problem I am having is that I am gettin the hooker lts and the hooker ory and am not sure if it will bolt directly to the cb my car has on it now. I bought the car with a flowmaster cb. I am pretty sure I can do it myself, I am pretty sure I may have some buddies to help too. I don't see the point in paying 250$ for the install of them both. I will look around on the stickies and try to find the most detailed write up. I am pretty intelligent and am becoming more ls1 savvy, so it shouldn't be that damn hard. Again thanks for the input guys. I will post up again if I have any problems. I am ordering the headers next friday, so it will be just a couple weeks.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's definitiely doable, i did mine by myself in a few hours, hardest part was lining up the new headers for the bolts, not too bad.