Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane Poly Motor Mount Install Tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prothane Poly Motor Mount Install Tip

There is a really easy way to line the mounts up after you install them. It will not require the pry bar like so many have done before.

Line up the driver side mount first. I used a floor jack. Then slide the long bolt trhough the cradle and mount. Do not put the nut on yet.

Next comes the passenger side. I tried the pry bar to line everything up. Was not happening. The 4 bolts securing the cradle are easily accessible. Gradually loosen them up and shift the cradle around to see how far of it is from lining up with the mount. Have a buddy jack the motor a bit. Lossen the cradle bolts some more and repeat. Once it gets really close you can just tap the bolt in with a hammer. Do not put the nut on yet. Gradually torque the cradle bolts back to the required spec. Once they are tight you can Put the nuts on the through bolts and tighten everything up.

2 very important things: Make sure you leave enough of the cradle bolt threads engaged in the k-member (you don't want to strip anything out) and also make sure to remove the jack from underneath the motor prior tightening everything.

Doing it this way took me about 30 minutes to line it all up.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Restricted User

I just ground the tip of one of the bolts down so I could use it as an aligning punch and once I got the tip through the motor mount, I just hammered it home and it lined everything up. Good tip tho man, thanks!
Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did one side at a time with a floor jack and didn't have any problems getting them to line up. Just have to get the height just right with the floor jack.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a good idea there, but if i were to do that i would be scared to strip the threads out as i see tightening them while there is pressure to keep the motor straight would but alot of pressure on the threads on the k member.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by socmguy
I just ground the tip of one of the bolts down so I could use it as an aligning punch and once I got the tip through the motor mount, I just hammered it home and it lined everything up. Good tip tho man, thanks!
Exactly what I did, worked like a champ!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

I just made sure I didn't over extend so there was enough thread still in the k-member. I tightened them in a cross pattern a little at a time to distribute the load. Although the polyurethane is much more rigid than the rubber it gave enough where there were no issues.