Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan switch mod write-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan switch mod write-up

This installation will allow you to turn your fans on manually on both low speed and high speed. It is a real simple installation; that most anybody can do. This switch will allow you to run the fans on either low or high at any time, even when the car is off. This is good for sitting in traffic and staging lanes.

In this write-up I am not responsible for any damage to you car.

Materials and what I used:

DPDT Switch. (ON-OFF-ON)
(2) LED’s with resistors
Wire
Wire taps
Wire connectors

(1) Disconnect the battery.
(2) Remove the top part of you center counsel by removing the shift **** and the 2 bolts in you arm rest.

(3) Drill you holes for you LED’s I put mine right under the cup holder and above the cigarette light plug. I drill ¼ “ holes for the LED’s I used.

(4) Next open you hood and find the wire bundle on the passenger side wheel well. You will be taping into the front connector. The wires you are taping into are the H (which is dark blue) and the J (which is dark green). The dark green wire controls the low speed and the dark blue wire controls the high speed.

(5) Run the wires back and through the firewall. There is a grommet directly behind the PCM that you can use. Unbolt the plastic PCM bracket and remove the PCM and bracket together. The grommet ends up at the bottom of the dash just above the passenger's feet. Make sure you run enough wire to stretch under the dash and to wherever you will mount the switch.

(6) Now, you will need to find a +12V source and a good ground. The ground will be connecting to three terminals on the switch and the +12V will be connecting to the LED's. I used one of the cigarette lighters for power. Here is a diagram of how to wire it.

(7) Test it and put everything back together. I mounted my switch in the ashtray. These LED's will light whether you have turned the fans on manually or the PCM has turned them on. I have the green light set to low speed and the red light set to high speed. Both LED's light when the fans are on high speed.

credit given to www.xious.com

Last edited by firehawk#682; 05-17-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did it man.. I am jealous

Why didnt you put the leds under the cig lighter from the original pic?????

wanna come do mine
Old 11-08-2008, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just buy the SLP kit, makes it stupid easy. 70 bucks, though.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

^ I didn't wanna spend the money when i didn't need to. Plus i can always tell when my fan is running now.

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Why didnt you put the leds under the cig lighter from the original pic?????
wanna come do mine
I put them there bc i like that spot better. My shifter would be in the way if they were under the cig lighter.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice job. I had to use a relay for mine because I used a different type of switch and it throws an SES code everytime I use it since I'm using an aftermarket fan relay. I deleted the code though.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Great job
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by firehawk#682
^ I didn't wanna spend the money when i didn't need to. Plus i can always tell when my fan is running now.

I put them there bc i like that spot better. My shifter would be in the way if they were under the cig lighter.

your only couple hours away from me.. You want to do mine
Old 11-09-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

your only couple hours away from me.. You want to do mine
Ya ill do it if you want to come here, but its like a five hour drive.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya ill do it if you want to come here, but its like a five hour drive.

That is sort of a far drive
Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

just dont forget it on like i did more then a few times
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ae13291
just dont forget it on like i did more then a few times
That's what the LEDs are for
Old 11-11-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

I like what you have done. I might make one suggestion to make this go faster and easier. Instead of removing the pcm there is an easier way. go inside the car and locate the rubber grommet on the firewall located just below the pcm location. And using either an old antenna (cut the ball off the end and sharpen it to a point) or even a wire hanger (straightened out of course) tape the wires to the antenna or hanger and gently push them through the grommet and guide them up into the engine bay. I have used this method a lot and it always works great.

Good write up though.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HMERacing
I like what you have done. I might make one suggestion to make this go faster and easier. Instead of removing the pcm there is an easier way. go inside the car and locate the rubber grommet on the firewall located just below the pcm location. And using either an old antenna (cut the ball off the end and sharpen it to a point) or even a wire hanger (straightened out of course) tape the wires to the antenna or hanger and gently push them through the grommet and guide them up into the engine bay. I have used this method a lot and it always works great.

Good write up though.

why go thru all that, when you loosen 2 10mm bolts and lift up the PCM and you have access to that grommet?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

why go thru all that, when you loosen 2 10mm bolts and lift up the PCM and you have access to that grommet?
because you dont want to risk dropping the pcm or messing with the pins on the connector
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Do it how you wish, I was not posting this to say it is wrong to remove the pcm. I was just offering an option to even messing with the pcm at all. But this is only if you have either the antenna or hanger. Not to mention this method can work wonders on many other installs, ect. I worked in a custom shop when I was in high school and I always had an antenna for this purpose.
The less you have to disturb the better off you are. anyway, Just my .02
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

true but it really isn't that hard to remove it it took me a couple of minutes to remove it and set it aside. I also removed it to get a picture of where the grommet was, and im going to be sending my pcm to get it tuned.

Last edited by firehawk#682; 11-11-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the writeup!!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HMERacing
Do it how you wish, I was not posting this to say it is wrong to remove the pcm. I was just offering an option to even messing with the pcm at all. But this is only if you have either the antenna or hanger. Not to mention this method can work wonders on many other installs, ect. I worked in a custom shop when I was in high school and I always had an antenna for this purpose.
The less you have to disturb the better off you are. anyway, Just my .02
ohhh by all means i wasnt bashing, that just seemed a little harder that is all
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

true but it really isn't that hard to remove it it took me a couple of minutes to remove it and set it aside. I also removed it to get a picture of where the grommet was, and im going to be sending my pcm to get it tuned. Thanks for the compliants tho.
so lets say sometime in the spring you want to meet halfway to help me with this project?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

true but it really isn't that hard to remove it it took me a couple of minutes to remove it and set it aside. I also removed it to get a picture of where the grommet was, and im going to be sending my pcm to get it tuned. Thanks for the compliants tho.
Was not intended as a complaint, merely an option. And more of an option for people not wanting to remove the pcm. Using this method you can run the wires and be done in the time it takes to remove the pcm.

Quick Reply: Fan switch mod write-up