Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG/cutout

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG/cutout

okay, so pretty soon i will be getting a full new exhaust. What i have come up with is Kooks or American Racing headers, either of their Y pipes, and GMMG catback. What do you guys think? anyone have this setup? also would adding a cutout to this allow for better flow? i read somewhere that GMMG had bad flow numbers..plus ive always wanted to have an e-cutout. thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

I currently have Kooks headers, and their catted y with GMMG exhaust and love it. Sounds even better with a cam. Haven't heard anything about GMMG flowing bad. A cut out will definitely help it flow better, since it's coming right out of the headers.

Last edited by STRETCH'S T/A; 11-10-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Nice. do you have a sound clip? and a reccomendation for where i should buy the kooks headers and Y?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

just buy the kooks from one of the sponsers, and I also have never heard of poor flow #'s for GMMG.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by STRETCH'S T/A
I currently have Kooks headers, and their catted y with GMMG exhaust and love it. Sounds even better with a cam. Haven't heard anything about GMMG flowing bad. A cut out will definitely help it flow better, since it's coming right out of the headers.
X2!

I absofreakinlutely love this combo! I cannot wait until I get my heads and cam installed!! I will probably be driving around with a constant erection!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Click the idle clip link in my sig: BTW i have a cam too

QTP LTs + Custom Kooks O/R Y + Flowmaster Merge + GMMG C/B

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 11-11-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

that sounds amazing. what exactly is the "flowmaster merge?"
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Banned

^^it's a merge collector pipe (Y-pipe) made by flowmaster. i think the GMMG sounds better with a catted Y myself.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cookba
^^it's a merge collector pipe (Y-pipe) made by flowmaster. i think the GMMG sounds better with a catted Y myself.
True it will sound better with a catted Y, but i am going to throw a PoerPack muffler on there to get rid of the rasp
Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i felt when i took off my magnaflow and put on the gmmg it was a little slower. i have read that a few times after i started looking into it. i still run the gmmg but i may swap again. i have thought about the new slp system.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkAZws6
Nice. do you have a sound clip? and a reccomendation for where i should buy the kooks headers and Y?
Here's a little sound clip for you.........as far as where to buy kooks, check out the sponsors on here, or a speed shop near you.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=cals400ex;10464005]i felt when i took off my magnaflow and put on the gmmg it was a little slower.QUOTE]

If anything you should be faster, as there is not a "true" muffler on the GMMG. Its just chambered which gives it is awesome sound. The only difference between that and the magnaflow might be the size. I think GMMG is 2 1/2 in. diameter vs. magnaflows 3 in. (correct me if Im wrong). But just do a search under GMMG and im sure you will find tons of happy customers.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kooks headers (with cats) here, GMMG and an electric cut-out.

The GMMG is the most free flowing exhaust system out there, a butt-o-meter isnt a good way to gauge power. The dyno-meter is!

Like everyone else says, the sound perfect!
Tho, I actually prefer the sound of my setuup with the cut out Closed. If a wannabe-what-ever pulls up next, I'll open the cutout just to make more noise.

As for perfromance, when my car was dyno'ed, we did all tuning and graphs with the cut-out close. Then when we were happy with the tune, we did 1 extra pull, only change, open cutout.

The result was the exact same power bands all the way up, till the very peak of HP and Torque. At that point it gained 5 rwhp and 5 rwtrq. I'll take the extra 5, but its really nothing to brag about...to me the cutout is more of a noise maker - when I want it to be.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
Kooks headers (with cats) here, GMMG and an electric cut-out.

The GMMG is the most free flowing exhaust system out there, a butt-o-meter isnt a good way to gauge power. The dyno-meter is!

Like everyone else says, the sound perfect!
Tho, I actually prefer the sound of my setuup with the cut out Closed. If a wannabe-what-ever pulls up next, I'll open the cutout just to make more noise.

As for perfromance, when my car was dyno'ed, we did all tuning and graphs with the cut-out close. Then when we were happy with the tune, we did 1 extra pull, only change, open cutout.

The result was the exact same power bands all the way up, till the very peak of HP and Torque. At that point it gained 5 rwhp and 5 rwtrq. I'll take the extra 5, but its really nothing to brag about...to me the cutout is more of a noise maker - when I want it to be.
That is the same reason i will be putting my E-cutout on in the spring. For noise. I love how my GMMG sounds. I will use the cutout if something is at the light with me or when i am at the track
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all of the input guys. I cant wait to buy the GMMG now Do you guys just suggest buying it straight through GMMG? im guessing thats about the only way to go unless buying used, which i dont want to do.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blkAZws6
Thanks for all of the input guys. I cant wait to buy the GMMG now Do you guys just suggest buying it straight through GMMG? im guessing thats about the only way to go unless buying used, which i dont want to do.
Last time i was jsut looking they were on back order... but that was like about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Look in the For Sale section, i saw a bunch of gmmg c/bs for sale couple weeks ago