Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers installed, problems abound

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers installed, problems abound

I had a local guy here in Huoston install my new Jet-Hot LT's and y-pipe. Now, there are several problems.

When driving normally (i.e. no hard acceleration), there don't seem to be any problems. Once I accelerate hard, a couple of things happen:
1. The SES light comes on. I had Autozone pull the codes, and they are P0171 and P0174, saying the fuel sytem is lean.
2. The car starts trying to idle high, around 2000-2200 rpms. After I've stopped for about 5-10 seconds, it drops suddenly down to the 600-800 range.

I thought the EGR gasket was loose, so I got a new one. That didn't seem to fix the problem.

One thing I suspect is that I stupidly had my MAF ported before I researched the good/bad of it. I checked with the dealer and a stock one is $200! Is there somewhere I can go to get a cheaper one?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Headers installed, problems abound

...One thing I suspect is that I stupidly had my MAF ported before I researched the good/bad of it. I checked with the dealer and a stock one is $200! Is there somewhere I can go to get a cheaper one?...
check the MAF to see if you accidentally damaged it. from what ive read, headers should make you run rich, not lean, but who knows. IF you need to replace the MAF, post over in the "Parts Wanted" forum, there should be plenty of people who have switched to an aftermarket MAF that wouldnt mind selling you their original one. good luck!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just played with it some more, and I suspect the culprit is still the EGR gasket. I unscrewed the pipe at the engine and looked at it because I could hear it sucking air there, and even though brand new, the gasket still seemed loose. I put a bead of red silicone abouve the gasket and smooshed the gasket into it to make it stay put, and provide extra sealing power. After it hardenes some more I'll take it out for a spin.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a ported TB and headers on a 00 there is a chance the engine is too lean at WOT.If so you will need tuning or a MAFT to correct the problem.

Also a leaking EGR will make it lean.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

yup, the silicone fixed it, thanks anyway!
Old 09-19-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

yup, the silicone fixed it, thanks anyway!
so how do you like the headers? my jet-hots are in my closet, waiting for me to get a free weekend to install them.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love them. I can't really compare them to anything since they are all I've had, but the car is noticeably faster. I got the JH catted y-pipe too, and there doesn't seem to be much of a rasp that many people complain about.