Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my LPPs over the weekend - review

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my LPPs over the weekend - review

Well I got the LPPs early last week and decided i was going to have the car down for the weekend to install them. I planned on taking my time and spreading it out, but it went a lot faster then I expected and I had it all done friday night. I started on the car at about 4pm and was finished by about midnight. It was my first time putting headers on an LS1 car.. and I had to stop in the middle to eat, then run to walmart for connectors, then run to Advance to get wire to make 02 extensions. It wasn't a bad install and I basically did it myself. I had a few friends over that helped some but for the majority of it I was alone. I had to cut my Powerstick off of the factory y pipe (welded) so that took a little extra time, and I'm sure i could do it a lot faster the second time.

One of my friends told me to remove the pass side coil pack so I fought with that back bolt forever.. finally had the best luck with a ratcheting wrench and cutting the **** out of my arm on the cowl. . I'm not sure if that was needed or not, because I didn't remove the DS one and it was fine.

The install was very easy overall. I started with the pass side, and I had to raise the car up twice when I couldn't get the header to slip in. I had to get the car pretty high, but it slipped right in after that. The DS slipped in very easily with the car up at the height it was. I got the Y-pipe DS mount bolted on using an existing bolt/hole (for the head shielding.. just slid the mount under the shield and bolted it on) so that went very smoothly.

Overall I'm very please with the headers, ease of install, and fitment. The only real issue I had is my factory plug wires touch the primaries.. not the headers fault. I hacked half of the boot off on a few of them and tried to use RTV to prevent the spark from jumping, but I believe I'm getting a misfire. I knew this was going to happen I just wanted a temp fix so I could hear the car run until my MSDs arrive.

I'm having some issues with my catback on the car, the muffler is too large for the Y pipe (which is why it was welded to the factory one) so I need to find a reducer, then I will take some videos. I'm thinking about just scrapping the catback and getting a Magnaflow, but I'm not sure yet. The car is currently untuned, and I put the rear 02s in the y-pipe but left them unplugged. I bought some plugs to replace them, just haven't had the time yet. It starts and runs pretty well being untuned with the rear 02s unplugged.. as soon as it snows I'll be ordering a mailorder tune (TSP probably)

Anyways, for anyone that is considering them - do it. The price is right, the install is easy, and they look GREAT. Oh, and they don't leak
Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how is the seat of the pants feel from the headers
Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Well still being untuned and limited driving due to possible misfire, I haven't really gone out and tested it yet. From what I have noticed, it is a LOT more responsive at mid rpm levels.

I got my MSDs and new plugs in today (thanks 99blancoss) so I'll probably get them on this afternoon and let you know.

I do know it will get the nittos spinning when I punch it in 2nd at about 30mph. It could be due to the colder weather and colder streets now, but it never did that before.

Overall, they still look GREAT and they are a nice light gold color. I still haven't had to re-tighten header bolts, and they are not leaking AT ALL re-using the factory gaskets. Thick flanges for the win.

Last edited by FlashLCD33; 11-14-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanna PM me the link to their site? (not sure if they are a sponsor or not)
Old 11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

They are a sponsor here,

http://www.lpparts.com/

black2002ws6 is his name on here. $600 shipped for stainless longtubes and stainless ORY is a pretty damn good deal IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have any pics of them on the car? How is the clearence around the K-member?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

There is plenty of clearance from the k-member, no grinding or notching or any BS to get them to fit. They literally slide right in once the car is high enough. I will get some pics on the car for ya real quick, I'm just headed out there to do plugs/wires now.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

After driving with them for a while

The MSDs on, and they clear the primaries perfectly

I definitely feel a SOTP difference now that I take it out and drive it.. and it sounds wicked at WOT. I can't wait to get it tuned.. very soon.

Oh and I changed the plugs with the headers on, and it was very easy. Everything was extremely quick and easy except for number 8. Not really the headers fault.. just the car. With the coil pack off, it went pretty easy. I just used a spark plug socket with a universal end for all of them and it was smooth.

Now.. I'm going to start cleaning my engine bay lol. It's filthy.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Nice headers
Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 AM

looks good! congrats! how about ground clearance? does the y-pipe sit properly or does it hang low?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They are probably the best header choice period once you consider price and what you get. Even without the price, they are comparable to Kooks, ARH, QTP in terms of fitment, collectors, and being stainless steel. Add into the equation that you get long tubes and ypipe for less than the others sell just the headers, and it's a win-win situation.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

I just finished my install this weekend as well. I actually had push down the drivers side of the y-pipe to fit the hanger on the little arm. But it was a really easy install for me as well and this was also my first time. They really do look great and for the price you can't beat them. Mine have turned that nice gold color and the SOTP dyno tells me that thottle response and mid to upper range power is much better.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah the DS side of the y-pipe does hang a little lower because of the bracket I think, but I love the bracket lol. No bangin y-pipe is excellent.

My car is a 4x4.. but i have no ground clearance issues at all. Speed bumps don't scrape. I drove it on/off the alignment rack today and had no issues on the ramps.

Overall I like them a lot. Now my bullet catback is very loud and raspy lol. I'm getting a Magnaflow pretty soon
Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok do LPP have EGR and AIR hook ups?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Race only. EGR and AIR are overrated
Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Easy for someone who doesn't live in california, I had no EGR on my last car and kinda fidled with no PCV valves and had to put everything back on when smog time came around, unless I can find a friendly place willing to overlook me not having emissions systems.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Easy for someone who doesn't live in california, I had no EGR on my last car and kinda fidled with no PCV valves and had to put everything back on when smog time came around, unless I can find a friendly place willing to overlook me not having emissions systems.
Can't see how it matters. Long tubes won't pass in Cali with or without air/egr.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they will there is nothing against headers, besides it is easier to pass when you have the equipment on there, thats what they are lookin for anyways. Visual wise I have never heard of anyone failing because of headers.

I have an extra GMS CARB ID i can just say thats for the exhaust.

Also sorry I jacked the thread, those are some sick lookin headers.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice man. let us know ur gains and stuff because im really sold on these. like others have said. no one has a 1 3/4 header with a venturi collector and a merge spike and stainless for under like 750 and these are only 600! which is a great price. they look fantastic!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

what kind of clamps did you use to connect the collector to the y pipe?