Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM hot cam

hey guys im new here im thinking about putting a gm hot cam in my 00 trans am i was wondering if it would work with a stock motor! would i have to do anything else besides a cam???? i was also wondering if anyone else has done this to a stock engine! please give me some advice!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

you need to upgrade to LS6 valve springs, but i believe if you order the kit it comes with them.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this on an LT1 several years ago and it came with the LT4 springs if I remember right. I would definitely just upgrade to the LS6 springs if it doesn't come with them. I think they're only like $80 or so. The cam will definitely work with a stock motor but you may want to get a tune afterwards. Are you staying with the stock exhaust manifolds? If so that's ok but you'll see a big jump in power when going with longtube headers. That cam will want to breathe alot more and you'll see the best results by having the headers already there.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I advise a different cam.... and this post in the internals section
Old 11-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Teching In

yeah they do i was just wondering if it woud be ok to do with a stock engine all i have on it is a katback right now but i do have plans to do more stuff later its just that i work at gm and it cought my eye .do you think i shoud do headers first
Old 11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Launching!

I would also recommend a different cam. I hear a lot of people say that they wish they went bigger. Also, I would definatley get headers and Y pipe before a cam. No point in having a good cam if you're gonna choke it. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

while the hotcam makes decent power, and has good driveability...its small lift and old lobe technology makes it a less than ideal choice.

if you're gonna go through the hassle of a cam change....with all the small upgrades reccommended and the tune to go with it, you may as well go with a better cam.

something mild would be the TSP 224 or the 228r cam. both make great power and are very driveable.

even if you can get the hotcam cheap...there are better options out there.

and i would do headers first...or at the same time at least.

and choke up the $50 for poly motor mounts while you have the manifolds off...you'll thank yourself later if you have issues with exhaust clearance on the frame.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Diffinately do supportive mods first. LS6 intake, Lid, LT headers, y-pipe or ORY, you have a "catback", plus a tune and your good to go with step two, cam and heads. I like my hotcam. I don't have to worry about checking and changing springs. It sounds good and I'm not trying to race it either. Research, know what you want and do that. You're the one thats gonna drive it so make sure you build what you want and like. Good luck!