Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pan

my oil pan is leaking. im gonna have the trans out of it. with the trans out can i safely jack the engine up high enough to clear the pump? it there a write up for the oil pan change? i read something about the front cover has to come off. is that time consuming?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this in my 99 camaro a few months ago. Did the rear main and attempted the pan gasket while the trans was out, No good...

I found it easier to do the pan with the motor hooked back up to trans. I unbolted the mounts, lifted the motor, put a steel bar on some blocks across the fenders and chained up the motor, then dropped the k member. I want a Tubular K Member after doing all that work.

I didn't pull the front cover off while doing this. I don't see a way of doing it without pulling the motor or dropping the k-member. The pickup goes down through a fairly small hole in the windage tray, so the pan pretty much has to be lowered straight down.

Overall not much fun, but not the worst thing i've done. It'd be a good time to do poly mounts while you are in there..
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i did polu mount b4. that wasnt fun thats y i dont wanna disconnect them again n do that. not dealin with that. i guess ill jus put the trans in and do the rear main. **** the oil pan.

front cover leak not oil pan

Last edited by crazymofo1986; 04-24-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: was front cover