Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter keeps snapping

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter keeps snapping

I go out to start my car and get a half a crank and a grind, find out the starter head snapped and the starter turned into the flywheel, well it was 10 years old and the 416 is slightly larger than the LS1. Swap out the starter with a new one and a week later...Same thing (at least I hope it is the starter, the car is dead in the driveway right now). The first starter was in there 6 months, no problems, sounds fine when cranking, Now this. The only thing different I can think of is that I tuned the car in the summer and now it is cold out? But it seems to crank fine, I don't feel any kick back or backfiring, the motor is around 9.8:1 comp. Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. After I popped the second starter I checked to see if engine was seized by hand turning. It turned freely so I checked my flywheel through the little pilot hole and some of the teeth were worn but not that bad. I ended up changing my flywheel (flexplate) to a TCI and everything worked fine. The old flywheel was warped. It seems to be an issue on f-bodys.