Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunking/banging noise when spinning out/shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking/banging noise when spinning out/shifting

Hey guys, Kinda pissed and confused, and dont know where to go from here. I have a 2000 Z28. Stock except for the SLP Y pipe and BMR Lower control arms. The problem that I have is, when I put the car in gear, it makes a clunking noise. sometimes it clunks when I let out on the clutch too fast also. But when I spin out in first it feels like I have wheel hop, or something is hitting something in the car (feels like its coming from the rear). I put in the LCA's to try to stop wheel hop, put in a new trans and motor mounts. none of this helped. a guy at midas flattened part of my Y pipe cause it was hitting the bottom of the car when I would spin, but didnt fix the actual problems that I am having. I just got the motor mounts replaced today, and still have this problem. feels like something is loose on the car but cant seem to figure out where. If I cant figure it out, I will try to sell the car and save myself some headaches. I mean, who wants a car with 300+ HP, if you cant spin out occasionally? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys, Thor.
ps.
the rear end makes a noise like if you had a rock in your hub cap. dont know if this is related or not. But want that fixed also.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Its quite obvious. Your rear end is broke. Pull the cover and look in it.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Teching In

I had the rear pinion seal replaced about 2 months ago. they looked at the ring and pinion and said it looked ok. I dont know much about rear ends. could it be something else in there? Axle or something? Like I said, Ive never really seen the internals of a rear end. just ring and pinion.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 theories...

1. I had the clunking just like you are describing from my clutch... ended up being the clutch master cylinder. The hydraulics weren't letting the clutch engage correctly.

2. Check your transmission mount... the stock rubber one could be ripped in half. Typically with this you would notice your shifter moving vertically up and down when you punch the gas... which could absolutely give you wheel hop and banging.... put a poly one in there...

3. Rear-end problems...
Old 11-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I had the trans mount replaced with a poly mount about 3 months ago. the vibrations were so bad I replaced it with an oem rubber mount about 2 months ago. same problem with both. but worse with the poly mount. thats why I replaced the motor mounts, just to make sure.
would something broken in the rear end cause a problem that feels like wheel hop? and make thuds when putting the car in gear?
I will look into the clutch master cylinder.
Thanks for the help guys,

Thor
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Teching In

i also also have the same noise when i spin my tires it sounds like y pipe is hitting the bottom of car beneath the drivers seat. it happens sometimes when i just lug the car in second gear as well. so im assuming that my trans mount is bad and when i do a burnout my y pipe is hitting the floor pan, there is only like a half inch between my y pipe and pan. my rearend sounded lilke i had rocks in my hubcap as well as a loud grinding noise inside the car. you could hear it when i would drive by a wall with my pass window down it was loud. it was so loud in the car i couldent even talk on my cell phone. so i just pulled my axles out last week and my pass side bearing was shot, and it wore a groove in my axle shaft so i replaced the shaft, bearing and seal and it totally cured the noice nice and quiet now!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

did it also cure the banging y pipe noise? or just the grinding?

Last edited by Thor2000Z28; 11-21-2008 at 09:46 PM.