Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud ticking PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud ticking PLEASE HELP!

ok so ever since I got my car running when decelerating I would here a nasty ticking that I thought was coming from my rearend.

Well I jacked the car up and got the rear wheels off the ground, put it in drive and started revving the motor. well, I discovered that the sound is not coming from my rearend, but from either my exhaust(im running a stock manifolds and an open y pipe) or from the motor/tranny. it ONLY happens when the car is decelerating, and it is VERY loud from under the car. you can still here it when your head is over the engine bay, but not nearly as loud as when under the car.

I the put the car in park and did the same thing, and it still happened, so im sure its not my rear or driveshaft.

The best way I can describe it is it sounds like when we were kids and put baseball cards in the spokes of our bikes, except has more of a drone to it.

anyone got any ideas?

thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

OK i had a buddy rev it up while I was under the car and it is definitely coming from the end of my y pipe. could running it like this without a tune cause this? or is it just normal when not running the full exhaust?

thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

my car did this too.... it could be several things

first and most common is what i had and its called piston slap, which is just a machine flaw that some LS1s have. Its no big deal, i changed my oil to a synthetic royal purple and the slap went away.

Another thing is its probably an exhuast leak, also had this problem. Are you running a cat-back or stock system with your open Y-pipe? what is your full setup? you more than likely have an exhaust leak. check your pipe fittings for black marks... thats a good indication of a leak. hope this helps
Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

well im pretty sure its not piston slap ive heard piston slap before and this sounds more like a rattling. my exhaust is stock I just have no catback, just an open y with cats.

the sound ONLY happens on decel consistent with rpms. ive checked for any leaks and there are none. the sound is literally coming out from the end of my y pipe.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

do you just want to have a loud obnoxious car? i drove mine to school and back without my muffler on and i was ready to sell it to anyone with $10. get a cat-back system.... the car has to run like **** too
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Teching In

sounds like backfire to me. Tune could be lean
Old 11-26-2008, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

anyone else have any info?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You have stock manifolds, and the stock Y-pipe... and I assume the stock cats...

You're running with no catback ("open Y-pipe")... did I understand correctly...?

It may be the cats' internals braking up or rattling around.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its just either a backfire/exhaust leak. Get a catback on it and then get a cutout if you want that loud annoying car but the catback will get rid of the ticking.