Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont start!!!! Out of suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wont start!!!! FIXED FIXED

Just recently got back from overseas and my car had been sitting for about a year. Since being back, the car has been running like **** and I dont know why. I was going to trailer it to my tuner but now she wont start at all. I have run a full tank of 93 octain thru it recently before it wouldnt start. The SES light has been on sinse its been running like ****. The Autozone dude told me my OBDII port is not reading. Im so pissed. The fuel pump seems to be working and the coil packs have good power. It ran good for a while after my tune but then I stopped driving it for awhile. Check my sig for mods if your curious. IM STUMPED! Not my daily driver but.....you guys know how it feels.

Good battery volts with good ground
50 psi at the fuel rail
positive volts at the coil pack main harness
replaced TPS sensor
MAP sensor
AIC sensor

Last edited by PI HAT; 11-27-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't he read it? Cigarette lighter fuse blown? Does it start when you spray carb cleaner into it? Plugged fuel filter? Just some ideas good luck
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Launching!

yea agreed id throw a new fuel filter on just to be on the safe side, how was the car stored?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

I stored it in my garage with all fluids. My neigbor started it for about 10 minutes twice a month. He said it ran fine. Im not too concered with the OBDII port..I think I tried everything. I havent got a new fuel filter, but will try that tonight too. I pulled it off to look at it and shake it around a bit. Looks good but maybe not.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

the way to test a fuel filter is a little crued but affective, blow in it and if it takes any force at all, so much as the smallest effort of breath than it is clogged, my buddies 2000 trans am had the exact same problem and it was a clogged fuel filter.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

good hint. I took the fuel filter off and blew threw it. It wasnt like breathing easy , but seems pretty unrestricted to me. Its a cheap part and will replace it tomarow, but. the manual says with the key in the run position, the fuel pressure should be between 55-60. Mine tested at 50 flat. what do ya think?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Launching!

stupid question does the motor turn over at all, if it does and the filter doesnt fix it, see if u have access to any scanning equipment, i wouldn't go by what the autozone guy says half the time they dont know a problem from there own bung hole. cuz if the engine is throwin a code, check to see if the ses light flashes and if it does then its a missfire code inwhich your problem is most likely plugs and wires. however, judgeing by your mods it seems like when your tuner tuned your car they could have messed around with your timing a little bit, along with your fuel injector DUTY CYCLE. but above all i'd see what kind of code the engine is throwin and go from there.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

that shouldn't be a big enough drop in pressure to keep it from running.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

gottcha. motor dosnt turn over at all. It almost wants to, but ,sounds kinda flooded or starving.(if that makes any sense). I dont know whats up with the OBDII port. I checked the fuses and my tuner tunes it from there obviously. I dont know. I rechecked all my fuses again to include PCM fuse and IGN fuse. I just....THIS SUCKS. My wife kicked me out of bed for smelling like a gas can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

PS.. the SES light is not flashing
Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Launching!

yea the first thing i'd do then would be to find out what is throwin the code, more than likely that' ll point ya toward the right direction, and if you want you could try and help it out with some either, but if that doesn't work i'd wait until mornin cuz the cylinders may also be flooded. but yea see if you could get someone with a scanner on it, and see what the code is.

ps. try some aqua velva next time hahaha
Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

OBDII port dead. Its not reading anything. Does anyone have a link to a breakdown of the pins in order to conduct a pin test for continuity and power? If I remember correctly, I should be checking the ground to the passenger side rear head bold, the PCM fuse, the IGN fuse and the ciggarette lighter fuze right? I must be missing something because, unless I'm blind, they are all good.

I borrowed a MAC TOOLS OBDII 3.0 handheld. I tested in on my other cars and it seems to work. Im still stuck here guys. Any more suggestions....?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Tenured Member

cam or crank sensor either one can cause a no start. cam sensor is behind the intake, crank is behind the starter.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Tenured Member

Also check the conditions of the pins in your obd port. If you have another gm they will be the same from car to car so if your missing one or it was broken/pushed back that will also cause it not to read.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Sweet! The wires behind the port were loose. codes just read multiple random misfire and bad O2's. Those codes always were in the PCM's memory, with no light on. (tune)

I changed out the fuel filter. Now I have 52 PSI vs 50 but no start. I got multiple pulses on the fuel injector wiring harness for all injectors, but no start. I pulled and cleaned off injectors, although they are reletively new but still no start. The fuel pump is working good but I still havent checked the two sensors mentioned above.

When I figure it out. I will be sure to let everyone know! SEMPER!!
Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

60 PSI on fuel rail. crank sensor is plugged in and wires look good. . And isnt the camshaft sensor underneath the intake manifold? Didnt check it...still not starting even with starting fluid being sprayed into the TB

still nothing...?????

Last edited by PI HAT; 11-26-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

just because the crank sensor is plugged in don't mean it's working... my car died and wouldn't start when it went bad... camshaft sensor is behind the intake are you getting spark?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

So it doesn't crank over ?
Try boosting it with another car.
Also look at the temp sensor near #1 plug and make sure its plugged on.
Any signs of mice ?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

OK understoon about the camshaft sensor behind the intake....thats gonna be tough to get too. I have been messing with this thing all day and the worst part about it is ... its my kids b day! No signs of mice though. temp sensor is plugged and has power. (just checked)

the starter works, fuel pump works, getting spark....almost turns over but doesnt.

Could it be a valvetrain issue? I was reserching maybe a stuck valve or lifter or something??????

Last edited by PI HAT; 11-26-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Im kinda slow
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

I guess you could always unplug a spark plug wire plug in an old spark plug and see if you have spark?
This one is a big Hmmmmmm