Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound deadening advenures... New tips... (Just read)

Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sound deadening advenures... New tips... (Just read)

This car was just too damn loud inside and I've tried everything... I never got around to getting a set of tips when I got my TSP Rumbler CB about a year ago.. Here's a way to quiet an LT and ORY Rumbler Exhaust!!!

First, I stripped the ENTIRE INTERIOR and rolled in some truck bed liner that I was advised at the stereo place. No big change... Still too damn loud inside the car...

UPDATE:
I picked up some tips and clamps from Checker. (I didn't want to pay $100 for tips and I was just experimenting) Here's how it went;

Got old exhaust clamps? Cut the tangs off them to about the size you THINK you would need. Take the mounting hardware off the tips and grind down the threads on the inside.

Then take your cut clamps and 'mold' them to close up to the inside diameter of the pipe on your car and tap them in. Don't just hammer them shut, it'll just bend em. It takes some finesse.. I just added some 3" clamps to hold them on and hid the bolts and nuts out of sight.

They fit fine and OMG what a difference! I can hear my valve noise inside the car now, it's THAT quiet! I can also hear my tires now and I don't have to shout to think out loud on the highway! What a frickin difference!!!!!!!

Yes, they're Parts store tips, but they work great!
Sorry for the shaky pic.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 11-25-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

I can't figure out why the hell that helped. Did you have no tips before?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

^ No.. No tips before. I think it was due to a couple things.

These are baffled tips, and it also has the sound exit after the bumper now, not before. It sounds like a whole different exhaust now. There was SO much bass in the car before on the highway, it was getting to the point that I dreaded taking highway cruises with it. All the bass was coming in through the trunk area and bouncing around inside the cab.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Ahh, I see. Yeah, you're right, the exhaust was just slamming into the bumper before. Tips look good man.

Search this Thread