Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on getting car up in air for header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on getting car up in air for header install

Does anyone have any tips on how to safely get my car up in the air high enough so some Pacesetter LT's will slide in? I was planning on raising the rear and setting the back end on jackstands and jacking the front by the crossmember and setting a jackstand on each frame rail. The only thing I'm worried about is having the front higher than the rear which could cause the car to slide off the jackstands. I have a level garage floor and heavy duty floor jack to do the job, any suggestions? I get nervous being under this car since it's lowered and hard to get in the air high enough.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UTfan01SS
Does anyone have any tips on how to safely get my car up in the air high enough so some Pacesetter LT's will slide in? I was planning on raising the rear and setting the back end on jackstands and jacking the front by the crossmember and setting a jackstand on each frame rail. The only thing I'm worried about is having the front higher than the rear which could cause the car to slide off the jackstands. I have a level garage floor and heavy duty floor jack to do the job, any suggestions? I get nervous being under this car since it's lowered and hard to get in the air high enough.
I actually wanna know the same thing for my header install. Whats the best way to get the clearance needed for LT install?
Old 11-26-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

use a jack.... or use a lift.

I know of no other way.

?

But for what it's worth, I've seen some really fucked up jack situations and nothing is happened. If you're not stupid, you'll be fine.

It's plenty easy to get the car high enough without putting the back on jackstands. Pull the E brake and put the car in gear, it wont move.

Especially when you have jackstands under the front, it aint going anywhere.

Best bet is to drive the car on some ramps and jack from there. I usually take the jack stands and put them on the frame rail about 1/3 way down. I do this for headers and motor swaps. Keeps them out of the way.

It's not that bad.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I put my car on a lift.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lift would be great and all, but not everyone has the privilege to use a lift.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good set of heavy duty jack stands will do the trick. Use them in both the front and rear of the car. You can jack the car up high enough in the front and rear to make it level and get the headers to slide in. Without a lift, that is about your only options. I usually give the car a good shake once it is on the stands to make sure it is stable. I would rather it fall with me shaking it than me under it! You couldn't pay me enough to get under a car on ramps. But that's just my opinion.

Jon
Old 11-26-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

i used the 6 ton type,,they are taller than the standard ones.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

You can also jack the back end up and put a tire or two under each back tire then put the back down on the tires and continue to jack the front up as high as you can get it. Just an idea may or may not work for you...
Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your car is like mine, you can't get the jacks under the car, so I first drive the car up on some short 2x6s to get the car up enough to use a floor jack, Use the floor jacks and some decently strong jackstands in all four and I am good to go...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i use a set of rihno car ramps, i pull the front of the car onto them. i then jack up the rear and use a good set of stands . i then jack the front up to the desired height and adjust the rear accordingly. good luck
Old 11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As everyone has said.. just make sure you use some good HD jack stands and give the car a good shake to make sure it will not fall down !

If you want to be safe.. put some block or tires under the wheel and should the jack stand slip or move, then it might save you from the car completely falling to the ground with you under it..
Old 11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bczee
As everyone has said.. just make sure you use some good HD jack stands and give the car a good shake to make sure it will not fall down !

If you want to be safe.. put some block or tires under the wheel and should the jack stand slip or move, then it might save you from the car completely falling to the ground with you under it..
I agree....and if you have the car on ramps or otherwise make sure to use wheel chocks while lifting to make sure it doesn't roll at all.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

I put it up on Jack stands under the front as high as it would go then I had to jack it up even higher on the left side to do that header. Then let it down and did the same for the right side the back end looked crazy tweaked like that but it will work. Make sure you chock in the back wheels, better safe then sorry
Old 11-27-2008, 04:35 AM
On The Tree

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

What I find worked BEST for me..

Reverse the rear onto RAMPS.. jack up the front high as possible.. the more room, the easier its gonna be, even set some stands near the ramps for safety, and your PLENTY high enough
Old 11-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jermzz
use a jack.... or use a lift.

I know of no other way.

?

But for what it's worth, I've seen some really fucked up jack situations and nothing is happened. If you're not stupid, you'll be fine.

It's plenty easy to get the car high enough without putting the back on jackstands. Pull the E brake and put the car in gear, it wont move.

Especially when you have jackstands under the front, it aint going anywhere.

Best bet is to drive the car on some ramps and jack from there. I usually take the jack stands and put them on the frame rail about 1/3 way down. I do this for headers and motor swaps. Keeps them out of the way.

It's not that bad.
Just curious what kind of jackstands do you put under the front part of the frame, axle stands? If so do you have any pics u could show, I'm really leary about putting axle stands under that part of the frame because the frame is wider than the stands at that part.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blazingz28

Reverse the rear onto RAMPS.. jack up the front high as possible.. the more room, the easier its gonna be, even set some stands near the ramps for safety, and your PLENTY high enough

This is what I do also, and I strategically place a few extra sets of jack stands under the car front and rear for safety. One of these days I'm going to buy a 4 post lift for my garage. Getting to old to roll around on the concrete.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaveX
This is what I do also, and I strategically place a few extra sets of jack stands under the car front and rear for safety. One of these days I'm going to buy a 4 post lift for my garage. Getting to old to roll around on the concrete.
haha.. I'm 19 and I'll be damned if i wasn't more sore than playing any sport after 8 hours of installing LTS
Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

This how i did it also it worked great
Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha.. I'm 19 and I'll be damned if i wasn't more sore than playing any sport after 8 hours of installing LTS
I'm 41. The concrete only gets harder on ya.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on getting car up in air for header install