Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 PCV delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 PCV delete

Sorry to add yet another PCV question, but the only write up i found on this site dealt with an LS1 and i am so paranoid of doing something wrong and destroying my car (my car now has an ls6).
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-your-pcv.html

^that is the write up ive been looking at. My hoses are clearly different.

On the P-side I have:

one hose running from the top of the tb (by top i mean as high on the p-side as it can go, not actually on top of the tb) to the top of the p-sde valve cover about 4" back from the oil cap.

one about 2" below the first one (on the intake) that connects about 2" underneath the original opening to the lower intake.

Lastly I have one hose that connects to the D-side of the TB that hooks up to a small plastic module and a green cap for evap testing. It does not connect to the d-side valve cover at any point...

As far as i can tell i cant find any hoses connected to the back of either valve cover, these are the only ones I could find.

Does this make any sense to anyone...? Do i need to get some pictures...?

The engine is a built HCI LS6 with a fast 90/90 combo if that makes any difference.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, what car are you working on and what car\years is the motor or PCV System.

sound like you have a normal F-Body PCV Ssytem. The one that is on top, is the Fresh air intake, the lower one is your pcv system, should connect off of the TB to the back part engine and then to a Y connection that will go to the Valve Cover of each side. I remember someone posting pictures of the PCV system, might try a search on the "PCV", if I find it, I will report it.

That driver side with the plastic Module and green cap is your HVAP system to vent the fuel tank of vapors.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.. here is picture of the F-Body (and/or others) PCV system, not the LS6 system, which is different, but from what you have stated, it should look or be setup this way.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 98 formula. Its got a built LS6.

Use the picture bczee posted for reference, ill try to be more clear.

That red hose labeled "vent tube" is the one i described, i have that and its hooked up the same way.

The blue hose labeled "intake manifold pulls vacuum" is different on my car. It hooks up in front of the engine on the exact same spot, but it does not extend to the back of the engine. Instead, it makes a quick u-turn and hooks back into the engine about 2" below the first connection. Forgive my lack of knowledge but im pretty sure it hooks up to the lower intake.

As far as I can tell the "stock crossover hose" does not exist on my car. I cannot find the nipple on the p-side valve cover or any big hose on the d-side.

Im going to go check right now with a flashlight for the third time but as far as i can tell its not there.

Again, my car has a built LS6, not an LS1. It is not stock.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

ok so with the flashlight imanaged to find the hole on the back of the d-side valve cover (plugged), but the nipple on the p-side is definetly non-existant...
Old 11-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

you have the ls6 style pcv system... it is a better system since the gasses come from the valley cover and not the valve covers. there is less oil splashing around under the valley cover than there is under the valve covers. therefore less oil is consumed thru the pcv system. there is no reason for you to remove the pcv system unless you really like oil changes.

the pcv system was explained very well in the thread you linked

first you need to know, WHY is the PCV system there??

its NOT for evaporative emissions.. its for the engines oil change life.

the byproducts of combustion, mostly gasses, do get into the crankcase. some of these are acidic, some is water, ect.. the PCV systems job is to remove these crankcase vapors and replace them with clean, fresh air. it is to provide a constant flow of fresh air.. NOT to create a vacuum. yes, it does have a SECONDARY job as a vent, letting off pressure, but the PCV systems primary job is to provide fresh clean air for the crankcase

what happens if the PCV system is removed?
well, assuming you have a breather, you will not have any excess pressure in the crankcase.. thats the route most people take. however, all of the combustion by-products, will make their way into your oil, and slowly increase in there..
your oil should be changed on a VERY VERY frequent basis... otherwise water vapor will condense in it.. and the oil will become slightly acidic and eat at bearings...

why cant i just run breathers, race motors do it??

race cars get their oil changed very frequently. they are inspected and gone over on a very regular basis... if you think about it, this is the same as you getting out and going over your motor ever 5mins of driving... road racers, sports car racing, ect DO run a Positive crankcase vent system... either a conventional one, or a vacuum pump.. its mostly drag racers with the breathers only. and you now know why.

in the 50s, there used to be a hole in the back of the block to act as a vent.... in the early 60s someone invented this neat little one way small orifice valve they called a PCV valve... all of a sudden, oil change intervals were measured in 1000s of miles instead of hundreds... thats how long ago this was discovered, and how long its been around... this basic PCV system exists on every car for the last ~40 years, import, domestic, or whatever.. most motorcycles and even larger engine tools have a PCV system.. and while they vary in orifice size in the valve, they all operate the same basic way.

do NOT remove your PCV valve in a street car... instead, run a LS6 style PCV valley cover... run a air/oil separator.... or just disconnect it at the track, but run with it everyday otherwise...
Old 11-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smurray
ok so with the flashlight imanaged to find the hole on the back of the d-side valve cover (plugged), but the nipple on the p-side is definetly non-existant...
that is because ls6 pcv gets vapors out the system through the valley cover. so that part you described where Instead, it makes a quick u-turn and hooks back into the engine about 2" below the first connection is where the air is drawn from to be returned to the intake, and not from the valve covers
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

01_torch_red:

Thanks a lot for the info, atleast i know what im dealing with now.

The system might be better but im getting A LOT of oil in the intake and its really messing with my idle and cruising. Im not just making guesses either, this is what Slowhawk (the guy that built my car) told me in person. I drive my car pretty hard, it sees WOT often, he said that the PCV was the only way i could be getting as much oil in my intake as i am.

So with all due respect, I feel that i have a good reason to remove my PCV. At the very least this seems to be a cheap mod, and if it can rid me of the occasional miss and hesitation/POOR throttle response that ive been experiencing its definitely worth a try.

So, going back to my original question, how do i remove my PCV system (LS6 style)
Old 11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

anyone got any ideas?

Can I simply run a crossover from the D-side valve cover to where the red vent tube connects with the P-side valve cover, and then plug off the two other openings on the tb/intakes? If i do that and run a breather in place of the oil cap i should be all set, right?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

hmmm, i would still look into running a catch can with your pcv system before resorting to removing it.

anyways here is a good link to look over in regards to pcv system http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

not sure if you would want to take you intake manifold off, but you could check to see if you are still getting alot of oil in the intake. not trying to doubt what your engine guy told you, but if it were my car i would investigate...also should look at the oil seperator on the valley cover. seems odd that the ls6 style pcv would be giving that much oil in the intake.

if you are putting a fair ammount of miles on the car, you are gunna want to change the oil much more frequently. really i would at least try a catch can first. would end up saving you money in the long run if you dont have to change your oil so much.

Last edited by 01_torch_red_vette; 11-30-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

i do not dd my car but when i do drive my car it sees any where from 45mi crusing or 11 passes at the strip i have even taken it on a 500mi round trip. NO PCV here, i do not burn a drop of oil, and i change my oil twice a summer. my car has a decent size cam nitrous and 91xxx mi. if i buy another f body this will be my first mod. run good oil and change it that simple
Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

just because you can get away with it, doesnt mean it cant bite you in the ***. i'm not trying to say it cant be done, just pointing out what the sytem is there for.

Quick Reply: LS6 PCV delete