Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you safely drive a bolt on car without a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you safely drive a bolt on car without a tune?

So I currently have an slp lid, longtube headers, ory, and cutout. This winter Ill be finishing my bolt ons with an ls6 intake and a ported tb. My question is will it run fine without a tune. I dont want any problems with it being untuned and causing damage to the car. So am I worrying about nothing or should I get it tuned before driving it much? The tuner is in kokomo so I would have to drive it a couple hours to get it tuned as well?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

I used to have a lid, LT's, ORY, and loudmouth and drove it that way for about 2 years with no problems. Then I added an LS6 intake and ported TB last fall just before I put the car away for winter. Drove it for about a month this spring with those bolt-ons and without AIR and EGR and didn't have any issues other than the SES light on. And it just so happens that I also took my car to Kokomo to have it tuned as well. I wouldn't worry about it, you should be fine.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Thats what I was thinking just wanted the confirmation, Ill definitely get it tuned this spring but maybe not right away. Funds might be tight until the spring semester ends and I can work full time. Did Chad at Green Light tune yours?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

yes you will be fine...but the car will perform so much better tuned...
Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran my car lts tds plugs wires lid and ported/polished tb with no tune for 8 months or better with no problem. idk about the ls6 intake not throwing a code or seomthing, but i doubt it would require a full dyno tune
Old 12-02-2008, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not tuned
Old 12-02-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You will be fine with just a bolt on car I ran full bolt on for almost 2 years before Heads and Camming my car. A tune is recommended that you get one for better performance of air-fuel and alot of other things to to. You stock tune will be fine with full bolt ons, once you get into a cam and other internal mods to the motor, you will need to have a full dyno tune on the car.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

That's good know, im hoping to get my LT's, ORY & cutout installed sometime soon. Either this month or in January.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
Thats what I was thinking just wanted the confirmation, Ill definitely get it tuned this spring but maybe not right away. Funds might be tight until the spring semester ends and I can work full time. Did Chad at Green Light tune yours?
Yeah I had Chad @ GLM tune it. He knows his stuff and I'm happy with the results from the tune. I'm sure I could have gotten by without a tune, but I knew the tune would be my last mod for awhile (6 month old = bye bye mod money) so I wanted to take full advantage of the mods I have.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be fine just driving around since you are in the factory closed loop system. It should always trim your fuel to 14.7 unless you are going WOT. I added a ported t/b, lid, lt's, no cats and I was running 13.5 AFR wide open, that is running very lean so I bought hptuners and tuned the car myself. Now I can always tune my car when I add new things like LS6 intake and a cam. You should be fine, I actually did a 160mph run before I knew my AFR was at 13.5 and my car did not blow up. I would not do a lot of wide open though because over time you could burn up your motor running that lean.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Before I was cammed and tuned, the car would pull harder at 90% throttle (closed loop I'm assuming) than it would at WOT (open loop). Other than that, it ran good though
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

why? paying for the tune would gain so much. a tune would have been better than the intake.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say, once you get the LS6 intake, and P&P TB on i would go get a tune. Your A:F will be much smoother, plus adding the LTs and getting the Intake and TB on you A:F is pretty much outta whack. Get a tune, be happy with some new found ponies
Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as your o2's are good then atleast during part throttle the pcm will force the car to run 14.7:1, wide open throttle is another story but the factory tune is rich so you should still be plenty safe at wot. You may be leaving power on the table but safe.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by green28
Yeah I had Chad @ GLM tune it. He knows his stuff and I'm happy with the results from the tune. I'm sure I could have gotten by without a tune, but I knew the tune would be my last mod for awhile (6 month old = bye bye mod money) so I wanted to take full advantage of the mods I have.
Ya I have talked to Chad several times. He tuned out the codes after my header intall, has tuned several of my friends cars, and I saw him at the LSX Shootout. He's a good guy and definitely know his stuff, and Ill definitely be going there in the Spring!

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
why? paying for the tune would gain so much. a tune would have been better than the intake.
Then I would have had to pay another 100 or so for a retune after the intake....thats flushing away money....The car is put up and wont be out again until april anyway depending on the weather and will most likely get a new set of nitto dr's and a tune very soon after. I just wanted to know if it was ok to drive it for say a month till I got it up there to get it tuned.

Its good to hear itll be fine, Ill try to avoid the WOT but I might have to do one after the intake install...then ill wait for the tune.

Last edited by jrob56; 12-02-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned Village Idiot

i did it for a while... maybe a week or so its a BITCH to drive... i had a ms3 with fast 90/90 always turned off on me