Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my y-pipe too narrow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Is my y-pipe too narrow?

I noticed while putting the my SLP y-pipe back on the headers that the Y-pipe is about a 1/2" too narrow. I used a ratchet strap to pull the collectors inward in order to slip the y-pipe back on... It seems like a lot of load on the headers. Anyone else have this issue before?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why you need to start on the drivers side and start it first. the collectors aren't positioned straight so the y pipe will not just slide on with out working with it. Once it is completely slid into place there shouldn't be a stressful load on them like you are thinking.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

That makes sense... I will say it took me a good hour of hammering to remove it originally... When I put it back on there was no way it was going back on without the headers being clamped inwards toward each other. Once I ratcheted the headers to match the y-pipe width it slipped right on without issue.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you encounter this problem , looosen the header bolts then slip it all together.