Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv broke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pcv broke?

I'm removing the motor from my 99 T/A, and I noticed the pcv lines are broken in several places. Should this have an effect on anything? It passed smog just fine but it looks like it burned a shitload of oil. I don't really care since the motor won't be used anyways but what effect would this have on the car? It was broken behind the intake and right on the side under the throttle body.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a vacuum leak with unmetered air entering the intake manifold. Depending on how bad the leaks were (i.e. were the lines broken, just cracked and did it happen before or during the engine removal) you might not have noticed or it could have been significant. If you did have a vacuum leak, you would have probably heard a faint whistling sound.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

It would just burn some Oil and have a little more Crank Case Pressure than normal.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_merv
It would just burn some Oil and have a little more Crank Case Pressure than normal.
It was definitely burning some oil, I saw the coloring when I took the intake off around the intake ports. I didn't notice anything at all to tip me off it was broken.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I know this sounds ghetto but I had to duct tape the hole that I had where the larger hose in the back of the IM meets the two small hoses that go to the passenger side. I did this because it was the only car I had then I went to the auto parts store and bought some hoses and fixed it right.