Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insalling Headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Insalling Headers ?

I Just bought a set of Pacesetter Ceramic coated headers for my 02 T/A and i was wondering what is the best way to install them? Ive heard you have to drop the engine cradle, Is this true? If so how?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Launching!

You dont have to. Itd be easier though. But pretty much your going to want soak the old bolts in pb blaster if you havent already. Let that soak so break off any of the bolts in the head

Then unbolt your air, egr, ive found that on the passenger side that taking off the valve cover makes it a hell of alot easier.

Get the car up as high as possible. It needs to be up there. But BE SAFE! thats also key obviously. But its gonna take some patience, and some tiny hands. Other than that its pretty straightforward.

Hope this helps and enjoy!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:59 AM
Teching In

hardest part is getting the coil pack bracket on pass. side off ( you shouldn't need to remove the driver side) As for the height, I put mine up 8" on pass. side and 12" on driver side. I used a sawzall and just cut the stock exhaust off after unbolting the manifolds. Installing the headers is alot easier than the removal of the stock junk.

I'm sure there is a few write ups on here if you need a walk thru just search for one.

-Dan
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 AM
12 Second Club

you are gonna need a hamme, to dent the fire wall in just a lil bit. you will see were u need to. and on the passenger side, when u take off the coil packs, have fun getting that bolt underneith the cowl, its a bitch.... and does not need to be put back in.

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Staging Lane

whoa, a hammer? takin off valve covers and coil packs!?

ive installed every brand of header on a ls1 fbody and NEVER had to do that lol

pacesetters slide in like butter.. hardest part is just gettin the manifolds off, and its not hard, just time consumin.. let me tell u.. a 10mm ratchet wrech is ur friend when doin long tubes!

like they stated.. try to soak em before breakin em loose, nothing like breakin a bolt off in the head
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Launching!

I gave him what he needed to do. He might have to beat the floorpan/firewall a bit. Pacesetteres QC sucks. Some headers fit. Some have to fight and fight to get them in there. Its pretty striaghtforward tho.

^^^ Id love to know how you got your headers in only lifting it a foot in the air?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2slow4you

pacesetters slide in like butter.. hardest part is just gettin the manifolds off, and its not hard, just time consumin.. let me tell u.. a 10mm ratchet wrech is ur friend when doin long tubes!

like they stated.. try to soak em before breakin em loose, nothing like breakin a bolt off in the head
listen to this guy you don't need a hammer! You don't need to take the coil packs off and u don't need to take the valve cover off. Pacesetter are one of the easiest headers to install. Just get the car high enough on some jackstands and they will slid rite in. I did how ever remove the steering knuckle which isn't that hard at all.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't use a hammer or unbolt the steering knuckle. I had access to a lift so that made it MUCH easier to just slide them up from the bottom. Just jack it up as high as you safely can and you should be good from there.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ same did mine from the bottom ,i have hooker an they were not that hard to do just a little patience..
Old 12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2slow4you

I agree, mine slid right in. Just get the car high enough so you have plenty of room to work.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Teching In

^^^ Id love to know how you got your headers in only lifting it a foot in the air?
actually it was 7 5/8 on passenger side and 11 1/4 on the driver side. I do have pics as its still sitting in the same spot waiting on the catback to arrive.

Maybe I got lucky, don't know?

-Dan
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i have only removed my driver one and i pulled the steering shaft as well. the header had to be pointed straight up to get it up to the motor so the car was high off the ground. and it was hitting the firewall so i shoulda known about the ******* hammer trick back then
Old 12-10-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

I actually had to use a hammer just a little. However i didnt have to undo the steering knuckle or take off any coil packs. It helps to be skinny lol. The only problem I had was getting the car high enough off the ground to get the right angle for the drivers side header to slide in. Its all pretty much common sense stuff and really doesnt take any skill at all. It does help to have another person there with you though.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The only issuse I had is that I had to shave about 1/8in off of the casting tab on the drivers side back of the block, some have to others dont. I did. Other than that they slid right in from the bottom.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help, i have a lift so getting it in the air is no problem. Also does anyone know where to get good O2 simulatiors, or can you fix the check engine light with a tune?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A tune will get rid of the check engine light.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the header bolts need torqued? Mine are paciently waiting install also. Lol.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest I just tightend them down real good and then after a few drive cycles went back and re snuged them..
Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrobvious34
thanks for the help, i have a lift so getting it in the air is no problem. Also does anyone know where to get good O2 simulatiors, or can you fix the check engine light with a tune?
i would just get a tune as i have seen sims not work before.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best advice: try and find a lift. If you can get access to a lift, you'll cut the install time in half. Literally. What is an 8 our driveway job can get done in 3-4 hours. With a lift, nearly all the time will be spent taking the old stuff off and realigning the catback.

Quick Reply: Insalling Headers ?