Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV system issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Default PCV system issues

So since I am neck deep in my head and cam swap. I'd thought Id tackle an issue Ive been having for a while now. I installed the below PCV setup with a thunder racing catch can and an ls6 valley cover, as well as a passenger side valve cover breather. For some reason Oil keeps soaking the passenger side breather filter which to me is a sign that I have too much crank pressure? Is it possible that my autozone PCV valve is too small thus causing back press. in the system. I do have the D/s cover vented with the stock grommet and a filter and oil air separator attached to it with a filter. Thanks for the help guys!!!!!

Below is my setup, the silver thing between the catch can and the valley is a pcv valve that I got from autozone. You can see the drivers side breather in the back left.
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...aropics012.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...OFCATCHCAN.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...aropics013.jpg
Old 12-11-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt call it too much crankcase pressure, but you might have low vacuum to the pcv because of the cam you just installed. How much vaccum do you have at idle? Is there any way oil could splash to the breather?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99345hp
I wouldnt call it too much crankcase pressure, but you might have low vacuum to the pcv because of the cam you just installed. How much vaccum do you have at idle? Is there any way oil could splash to the breather?
Actually I am in the process of installing the cam fight now, this was occuring with the stock heads and cam still on the vehicle so I am trying to remedy it while I've got it somewhat torn apart!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

It looks like you have the catch can set up properly, as long as the pcv valve is working and there are no leaks. So I dont think theres any problem there. Having a breather on the valve cover will allow any gasses to escape from there. Those gasses will have the evaporated contaminates in them. From what Ive read as long as its vented through a filter like that its going to get coated because its the path of least resistance for the gasses to escape.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
It looks like you have the catch can set up properly, as long as the pcv valve is working and there are no leaks. So I dont think theres any problem there. Having a breather on the valve cover will allow any gasses to escape from there. Those gasses will have the evaporated contaminates in them. From what Ive read as long as its vented through a filter like that its going to get coated because its the path of least resistance for the gasses to escape.
Ok thats what I thought however it looks like the pass side header is getting oil residue leaking onto it by where the AIR block off plate is, and the breather is right above it, and yes Im sure its the breather as this car has no oil leaks.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Its probably just accumulating on the breather and dripping down. Id say just eliminate the breather and let the catch can and the oil/air separator you have in place take care of it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

a dumb question but is your pcv installed the right way? mine had a nipple on each end so it was easy to get it backwords is why i ask

ive had a setup the same as yours minus the ls6 valley and i actually had a pcv valve and then just deleted it all together and was better off. i know you'll hear you need a pcv valve but it didnt change my idle or anything

heres what i did:
breather on driver side
plugged rear port on passenger
front went from valve cover to catch can to the intake manifold

no issues
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Launching!

If you use a breather your supposed to delete PCV...

The pcv is a metered air system. When you have a breath setup that air is escaping/entering and its not metered. So either keep the breathers on both sides and delete pcv or ditch the breathers. I say ditch the breathers IMO, its a not a drag only car is it?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Launching!

I have oil dripping onto my headers too.

My set up is, I connected the rear of the valve covers, breather on the oil fill, and plugged the front of the passenger valve cover and intake.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I have oil dripping onto my headers too.

My set up is, I connected the rear of the valve covers, breather on the oil fill, and plugged the front of the passenger valve cover and intake.
So you deleted PCV?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

yeah i deleted it completely. Is there anything wrong with that setup?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Launching!

No. Im simply stating its not in the engines best interest to run a breather and a PCV setup. Un metered air is entering and leaving the motor. a PCV system takes contaminents(sp?) out of the oil and burns them. Where as a breather? Nothing. Just air. So thats why I stated if your gonna use a breather delete the PCV, if your going to use PCV then use it and do NOT use a breather anywhere.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Oh ok. That's good then. What's the explaination for oil still dripping out? I haven't heard anyone complain of that. One guy said that his smelled like oil for a week after, but then it was fine.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Look up at post 6. The reason it is dripping oil is because when gasses escape from the engine through the breather they are carrying evaporated contaminates. Those contaminates condense on the breather to liquid form and when the breather gets saturated they have to go somewhere so they drip off of it.