Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 vs FAST 90/90 vs Fast 92/92

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 vs FAST 90/90 vs Fast 92/92

I would like to see what each one is going to add on a bone stock LS1....RWHP NUMBERS!!!!...ALso post price next to each one...this is going to help me with some of my research. I know that the more you spend the better..and that it will depend on mods....but id like to compare them closely. THanks
Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search is your friend...bone stock LS1 doesn't need anything bigger than an LS6 as it's not worth the money. You can get an LS6 for around $300 and use your stock TB as opposed to a 90 or 92 setup where you're going to be out at least $1100.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Ok ....^Maybe I should explain better...jeez

Okay...I know about that...this will not be going on a stock LS1...I want to compare what each intake typically adds as far as rwhp!!! I would like to see what would be worth the money dollar 4 RWHP wise. It will be on a LS6 heads, MS3 or MS4 setup...trying to decide wich one I want to go with....

It makes more sense to me to see numbers side by side from a stock motor that way other mods do not effect it...
Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you clearly stated on a BONE STOCK LS1 in your origional post...but okay...

imo you will be getting around 10-15whp for 300 with the ls6
and you would be getting around 20-25 for 1000+ with fast...

i would look for used fast setup but dont be afraid to settle with the ls6, it will make good numbers as well..
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

That is exactly my point....^ In what world is $800 dollars worth 5-10 extra RWHP over the LS6? I would never waste the money unless I had a setup that absolutley HAD to have that much breathing room! I belive I have made a choice.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well good thing you posted on here to figure out the answer you already knew.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Well good thing you posted on here to figure out the answer you already knew.
Dude...if you dont compare them at a stock starting point...then there are 1000 diffrent possible answers...a bone stock car makes for a great start because you can see what each one adds from the same starting point. And I always thought that the Fast made more of an increase over the LS6 than that.....def not worth the money...kinda like spending $800 more on a set of heads because of the name on them....hmmm.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drewwrxrogers
Dude...if you dont compare them at a stock starting point...then there are 1000 diffrent possible answers...a bone stock car makes for a great start because you can see what each one adds from the same starting point. And I always thought that the Fast made more of an increase over the LS6 than that.....def not worth the money...kinda like spending $800 more on a set of heads because of the name on them....hmmm.
You my friend do not have a clue.

FAST intakes are for heads and cammed street cars and some race cars, they definitly are worth the money when you have done all the other mods.
When the cubic inches go up, or a power added this intake shines, and shines well.

The next step up is a sheet metal intake, a single plane intake with a wilson elbow but thats max effort track only cars that see no less then 4k rpms for the 1st 5 feet.

If the car will stay with bolt ons, or just a cam, for 300-350 you can pick up a used LS6, but start going up the modification chain, the FAST HAS proven it's worth.

Back to your clarification on a MSx cam and some what ported heads, the FAST will do more then 4 hp.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

I realize that....but again.....For MY application stated above, I belive that the LS6 intake would be the best choice and in no way would it be worth it to me with that setup to spend an extra $800 dollars because it would only gain a few more RWHP...if I am wrong then please show me some dyno charts to prove yourself why spending an extra $800 for the Fast would be worth it....Please.

In my eyes $800 would be better spent on a NOS kit for 150 extra RWHP or $800 towards better heads...something...hell anything. Again...open to being proved wrong...looking for the best application for my car...thats what this post is here. Thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

CLIFF: even for the money, in your situation, a FAST intake would be best... used you can pick them up for about 850...

\i have ms4 cam... i was not stock.. but i went from ls1 intake.. and swapped over to ported FAST 90/90 and 410s.. i picked up just over 30rwhp...

yes the FAST intakes are 600 dollars more.. BUUUUT... whenever you decide to go to bigger and better (408 for example) you can still use your same intake, so you dont have to spend money on that..

if your going to go with an ms4 with ls6 heads, your going to have a top end monster... the FAST intakes flow incredibly better than an ls6 intake at higher RPMS.. so that would be a hands down better choice...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

If you're going H/C, FAST is going to give a lot more than it would on a stock car, so comparing on a stock car isn't accurate. What you need is comparison between the same modded car with the two intakes. So here it is, compliments of Mr. Pat G. Top line is Mamo ported FAST 90, NW TB and bottom is LS6 w/ P&P stock TB.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wrong room btw. This belongs over in external:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rnal-engine-6/
Old 12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

For MY application stated above, I belive that the LS6 intake would be the best choice
In my eyes $800 would be better spent on a NOS kit for 150 extra RWHP or $800 towards better heads
Then why did you make the post in the first place, knowing this?

IIRC the car that TSP ran the record setting 9.8x at the LSX shootout had an ms4 and a FAST if that means anything to you.

Also the FAST 92 intake mani offers no more power over the FAST 90, the 92 just fixes some of the issues that the 90 had.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

^ what about if your not planning on an entire motor swap? I have no intention of going beyond this setup as I will drive it often. And Perhaps an MS3 will do for me...havnt 100 percent made up my mind...but the specs show that the MS4 is only slightly larger and I like the LSA of the MS3 and how fast the power come on fast. I just dont see how the Extra 6-800 dollars is worth it. RWHP per Dollar...it makes no sense.

Do not get me wrong guys...I do belive that in larger applications...such as more cubes ect..The fast is the perfect choice...I just dont see why guys spend all that extra money on hype. Sorry just my .02 cents. And dont you have to get the larger TB also wich in the end you spend like $1200 bucks? I mean honestly...LS6 intake, LS6 TExas stage 1 heads, and an MS3 is what I am leaning towards at this point....
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Ok that graph doesn't look like typical results in all of my searching....not even close. And after you buy the FAST intake AND the TB that was used...what was the total...$1200-$1500 = 30whp v.s. $300 = 15-20whp??????

I mean wow....What else could you buy for $700-$1000 bucks that would add more WHP that you would save by buying the LS6? THat I will save. Threads closed!!!! I have made my choice..that chart made it easy for me! THanks
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

SOunds like you already had your mind made up before you even mad this thread. You should of just searched in stead of wasted time.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

^ I posted the thread because when I started it....the results based on all the "searching" vary so much from one another based on mods....thats why I wanted an equal starting point. Also....I wanted to hear from some other guys than the ones that bought just the FAST intakes....of course they are going to say that they are better...wich they are...but not for my application...expecially $800 better.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

^ what about if your not planning on an entire motor swap? I have no intention of going beyond this setup as I will drive it often. And Perhaps an MS3 will do for me...havnt 100 percent made up my mind...but the specs show that the MS4 is only slightly larger and I like the LSA of the MS3 and how fast the power come on fast. I just dont see how the Extra 6-800 dollars is worth it. RWHP per Dollar...it makes no sense.

Do not get me wrong guys...I do belive that in larger applications...such as more cubes ect..The fast is the perfect choice...I just dont see why guys spend all that extra money on hype. Sorry just my .02 cents. And dont you have to get the larger TB also wich in the end you spend like $1200 bucks? I mean honestly...LS6 intake, LS6 TExas stage 1 heads, and an MS3 is what I am leaning towards at this point....
why did you even start this thread then...

if your going to go with an ms4 with ls6 heads, your going to have a top end monster... the FAST intakes flow incredibly better than an ls6 intake at higher RPMS.. so that would be a hands down better choice...

this is the reason.... if your going to go with a big cam, ms4 or ms3.. your going to benefit a lot from a FAST intake over an ls6 intake.. something like a 228 cam your not going to see huge differences..

FAST is the way to go in your situation, but it seems like your stuck on an ls6 for some reason...?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

If you're going to spend 300 on an ls6, you apply that to the Fast. You don't want to spend the money on a Fast because you think it's hype?? You may want to step back and educate yourself from people that have proven time and again that they make great power over the LS6 with your combo. As was stated above, search is your friend.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
why did you even start this thread then...

this is the reason.... if your going to go with a big cam, ms4 or ms3.. your going to benefit a lot from a FAST intake over an ls6 intake.. something like a 228 cam your not going to see huge differences..

FAST is the way to go in your situation, but it seems like your stuck on an ls6 for some reason...?
Yes you are correct...the reason is $800 + the cost of the TB to get the full benefit is in no way close to worth the extra 15-18 TYPICAL RWHP...To some it may very well be.

Quick Reply: LS6 vs FAST 90/90 vs Fast 92/92