Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have kooks headers/kooks catted y and b&b...not loud enough

Old 12-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have kooks headers/kooks catted y and b&b...not loud enough

i have a setup of kooks long tube headers, kooks catted y pipe, and b&b tri flo. The exhaust is not nearly loud enough. Will there be a big difference if I get some muffler shop to cut out the cat and weld in a new piece of pipe there? Is that even possible?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srtricky
i have a setup of kooks long tube headers, kooks catted y pipe, and b&b tri flo. The exhaust is not nearly loud enough. Will there be a big difference if I get some muffler shop to cut out the cat and weld in a new piece of pipe there? Is that even possible?
You can get a shop to do that. Prolly will not make it louder per say, it will sound a little rougher. Can figure out what i am trying to say.

Why not get a different c/b?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Going catless made my car a little louder. Why not try a pair of cutouts in there?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Could you post a sound clip ? Thats the setup I'm wanting to get.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

I have pacesetters, no cats and the B&B catback. Its just not a loud catback at all. Youd have to ditch it to up the DB's.
Shane
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I have Kook 1-7/8" headers, 3" ORY-pipe, Loudmouth II catback and my car is pretty damned loud. It's not bad at all at idel but 3k+ RPMs and it'll grab your attention.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

I will try to get you guys sound clips but its snowing here so it may take a week or two. but my thoughts on various systems

First lets talk about the setups I don't like (first hand experience)....

kooks lt headers/kooks catted y/b&b tri flo (not nearly loud enough, if you have headers etc. and some mods you want the car to sound mean...it sounds like it should have from factory. amazing note to it but whats the point if its going to be quiet. I have the same type of setup on my c6 (kooks lt headers, kooks ory, b&b and they sound absolutely perfect. Honestly the best exhaust note I have ever heard (when it comes to domestics of course) and I can be heard for literally blocks. (i have noise violations to prove it )

I have another setup of lt headers, ory, and loudmouth 2 on a ws6 with almost 3000 miles on the entire car so I don't have enough seat time to comment. (the setup has been on for about 50 miles) but from what I have heard so far and from what the guys at the shop doing it were saying it sounds really good. [Loudmouth1 sounds retarded with the same setup]

lt headers with ory and borla is the best setup for an ls1 very easily...not only is it nice and loud the note is awesome. You aren't really heard for blocks but when people do hear you...you will get comments asking what you have done to your car

I would honestly put the b&b tri flo into the same category as a magnaflow (I've had it before.) They are just not loud. the problem with reading stuff on forums is your definition of loud and my definition of loud may be completely different. My viper has a setup of b&b headers, random tech high flow cats, and corsa catback which was supposed to be a "not so loud" setup. The thing shook my house when I would start it. Same problem with videos you can hear what the car sounds like but you don't really know how loud it is. Glad I found out that removing the cats won't help much. Which catback should I go with now? I don't want to do identical setups on cars that are identical (other then paint) already.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

love my borla open plate
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cut out?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my car with longtubes ory and lm1 but i love having an extremely loud car!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

I must be partial to the quieter sounds because I love the sound from my Triflow. But then again, I purposely didnt want an obnoxious car, just a good sounding one. Try a GMMG exaust. Or Borla with electric cuout.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hated the Borla when it was on my SS with headers and ORY; so I put it on my stock
Z28 with no plate at all and it sounds decent. I am just not a fan of the Borla at all.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have Kooks 1-3/4" Long Tube headers, Kooks low restriction (magnaflow) cats and B&B quad tip triflow cat back. I agree it sounds more europian than american muscle car. I thought of replacing the muffler but in order to do that you must cut the tips off and weld or clamp them onto whatever new muffler you get. You may also have to fabricate the pipes coming from off the new muffler to the tips along with a hanger. I am in the same boat you are where I like the look of the B&B system but teh tone sucks. I have also had loud cars and I wanted to shoot myself after a long drive. I say just do what i did, leave it and buy a race car with zoomies that wake up the dead and stop worrying about your tiny motor sounding like its tough. Thats just my opinion tho. But yes I agree the B&B muffler is stupid.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alamantia
I have Kooks 1-3/4" Long Tube headers, Kooks low restriction (magnaflow) cats and B&B quad tip triflow cat back. I agree it sounds more europian than american muscle car. I thought of replacing the muffler but in order to do that you must cut the tips off and weld or clamp them onto whatever new muffler you get. You may also have to fabricate the pipes coming from off the new muffler to the tips along with a hanger. I am in the same boat you are where I like the look of the B&B system but teh tone sucks. I have also had loud cars and I wanted to shoot myself after a long drive. I say just do what i did, leave it and buy a race car with zoomies that wake up the dead and stop worrying about your tiny motor sounding like its tough. Thats just my opinion tho. But yes I agree the B&B muffler is stupid.
finally someone that knows exactly what I'm talking about! I know where you are coming from about making a tiny motor sound aggressive but with as aggressive as these cars look when they sound tame it just isn't a complete package.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

I had the B&B PRT cat back on my C-5 vette and it sounded really good. Not super loud but when you got on it it would get attention. Thats why I was set on the B&B cat back for the SS now I'm having second thoughts everyone seems to be disapointed with it.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by droptopcamaross
I had the B&B PRT cat back on my C-5 vette and it sounded really good. Not super loud but when you got on it it would get attention. Thats why I was set on the B&B cat back for the SS now I'm having second thoughts everyone seems to be disapointed with it.
I would say don't do it! I had false hopes because of the B&B's ive had on my c5 and c6 (although I liked my c5 with borla stingers the most) I would say go with a borla on your car. Then again we have another member on here that hates the borla so its just a personal preference thing. If it wasn't there wouldn't really be a need for more then one catback company
Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I've got Pacesetter LTs, ORY, flowdisaster cat back. I love the way it sounds. Just added a cutout for performance...i know the flowmaster doesn't flow well. That's why I put the cutout. Everybody seems to like the way it sounds...over 2,500 rpms it's a beast.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

I would say don't do it! I had false hopes because of the B&B's ive had on my c5 and c6 (although I liked my c5 with borla stingers the most) I would say go with a borla on your car. Then again we have another member on here that hates the borla so its just a personal preference thing. If it wasn't there wouldn't really be a need for more then one catback company
I love my borla with QTP LTs and TSP ORY, it is a tad raspy in lower RPMS, but once you mat the gas it sounds outstanding. I am actually about to ditch the TSP ORY in favor of ORY with flowmaster merge to tone down the rasp.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

I have Kooks 1 7/8" x 3" to Kooks ORY to Corsa. I'm also a high compression LS6 and my cam is 244/248, and at idle or crusing it's not too bad, but at WOT I think I found the gates of hell and everything's trying to get out. It's ear bleeding loud at WOT.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Launching!

That's why I got flowmaster even though it doesn't flow well. My brother has SLP, ORY and borla. Yeah it sounds beasty at idle. But around 3,000 it's raspy and pops.

I can go from 1,000-6,000 just a rev and let off and no pop, no raspy ****. Just nice deep tone. Then you throw a cutout on and your not loosing any performance. My buddy is partial to his LM2 but that's because he paid 800 for it..without headers. Of coarse you gotta say you love it when your pocket book gets hit that hard.

With the price of flowmaster, can't go wrong, especially if your just gonna be trying different sounds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: have kooks headers/kooks catted y and b&b...not loud enough