Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGU removal...im looking to remove my EGU component.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGU removal...im looking to remove my EGU component.

Im bout to endevour to remove my EGU in my 2000 Pontiac trans am Ws6. Im looking for some sort of advise. If anyone has ever done it/knows anything that might help, id appreciate it? possibly some pics? MAYBE?lol
THANKS!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EGR? Basically unplug it, remove it, put a blockoff plate on the passenger side exhaust manifold, have the codes deleted. Someone will chime in with a link.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Are you wanting to remove it or just block it off? I think there are a few write up's on this in this form on how to remove it along with your AIR. Im not one that usually sais do a search but in this case it might be you'r best bet. Also I think what your talking about is called EGR.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Its pretty straight forward it connects to the manifold and the intake, and has one electrical plug up. Unplug and unbolt it then cap off the intake and manifold. A few of our sponsors to the right have the block off plates, I got mine from Speedinc. Afterwards you will most likely have an SES light which hurts nothing but can be tuned out for a fee by a local tuner. There is a few write ups on the site one in the stickys at the top of theis section and a search should turn up any more threads on it.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

haha yeh EGR. Okay well im looking to remove it completely. Buddy of mine said that just with the removal of that and taking out the screen from the intake i mite be able to increase my hp by about 10-15. any comments on that?
Old 12-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't de-screen your MAF, but removing the EGR does help. All it does is pump exhaust back into the motor with fresh air.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Why leave the screen on the MAF?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jcws6-25
When I bought my car and took the MAF off to swap a lid in, the ************ had **** all in it...stuck to the screen. It keeps your engine free of large debris. I took a few minutes with a pair of tweezers to pull all of the **** out. Leaves, parts of acorns, a bird feather(yea, I know, what the ****) Plus, when descreening it, you could have shaky hands, slip, and **** up the wires running through the middle and render it completely useless. I don't know about you, but I'm not spending any money I don't have to on parts for my car...especially a new ******* MAF. Hope this helped.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

you can if you want countless people on here have done it and I havent heard of too many problems. Its there to straighten the air entering the MAF and some people on here will say taking it out is a bad idea, I dont think it will hurt a thing just havent gotten around to it.

Now you probably wont even see 5 hp from removing the egr and screen. It probably will increase flow and keeps those exhaust gases from recirculating into your engine but you will not notice a difference, besides a cleaner looking engine bay and making it a little easier to get so spark plugs and do other work. If you did all the free mods it might make a tiny difference but not something you are gonna feel, you chalk it up to every little bit counts category just like weight removal.

While you are taking out the EGR I would remove the AIR as well, also very easy and there are write-ups on it as well.

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
When I bought my car and took the MAF off to swap a lid in, the ************ had **** all in it...stuck to the screen. It keeps your engine free of large debris. I took a few minutes with a pair of tweezers to pull all of the **** out. Leaves, parts of acorns, a bird feather(yea, I know, what the ****) Plus, when descreening it, you could have shaky hands, slip, and **** up the wires running through the middle and render it completely useless. I don't know about you, but I'm not spending any money I don't have to on parts for my car...especially a new ******* MAF. Hope this helped.
This is wrong! It was not meant to act like a filter, if you are finding **** that big in your intake tract past your filter you have some serious leaks somwhere and need to seal your lid better!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrob56
This is wrong! It was not meant to act like a filter, if you are finding **** that big in your intake tract past your filter you have some serious leaks somwhere and need to seal your lid better!
That's what I took from deductive reasoning. I know that it isn't meant as a filter but it seems to catch anything that the filter does not or since the stock lid on mine didn't seal well, all the **** making it through the bottom. Believe me, the seal is airtight now that I replaced it. And this wasn't giant stuff, just small particles of acorns, a few pieces of a leaf, and what looked to be, not sure it was the actual tip of a bird feather. I stand corrected though.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

awesome! thanks a bunch...i plan to get on all that sat so thanks for the speedy answers...dumb question now....where the hell do i find the write ups?lol
Old 12-25-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
That's what I took from deductive reasoning. I know that it isn't meant as a filter but it seems to catch anything that the filter does not or since the stock lid on mine didn't seal well, all the **** making it through the bottom. .
Yeah, its purpose is laminar (turbulence-free) airflow to the sensor assembly, however if the maf has become the restriction in your intake tract (I.E. you added a lid, higher flowing filter etc etc) this can provide a gain. When I descreened and ported my maf and my throttle body there was a definitely difference.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

awesome! thanks a bunch...i plan to get on all that sat so thanks for the speedy answers...dumb question now....where the hell do i find the write ups?lol
just do a search for AIR or EGR removal, they are in the stickies at the top of one of these forums too
Old 12-25-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

haha yeh EGR. Okay well im looking to remove it completely. Buddy of mine said that just with the removal of that and taking out the screen from the intake i mite be able to increase my hp by about 10-15. any comments on that?
That's a fairly uninformed statement. First, EGR only works at light throttle, the tube in the intake may take about 2-5 horses away and de-screening the MAF is of questionable benefit and reduces the operating efficiency of the MAF. The screen is there to "blend" the air hitting the maf wires to give you a more accurate overall flow reading.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

wow!haha well i guess ill just have to weigh out the screen deal but im def gettin rid of the EGR and my air pump! thanx
Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

wow!haha well i guess ill just have to weigh out the screen deal but im def gettin rid of the EGR and my air pump! thanx
If you're looking to clean up the engine compartment then you'll see benefit. I already mentioned the EGR and the AIR only runs for for the first couple of minutes after you start the car to heat up the CATs, after that it is off and does not affect power. You'll have to tune out the codes if you remove them and check your local inspection laws - if it includes a visual, then the plumbing must match the sticker in the engine compartment.