Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intake Question

When I put my new motor in, I had bought another intake and put on it. Has anyone heard of putting gasket sealer like RTV silicon or something like that on your intake manifold bolts when re-installing your intake? I read somewhere that you need to do this so there won't be any vaccum leaks since the bolt holes are threaded through the heads and are exposed to the crank case preasures. If so could this cause multiple cylinder mis-fire? It would be almmost like not having a pvc valve hooked up...right?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure the intake manifold bolt holes are blind and don't have this problem. Now some ported heads expose the rocker arm bolts holes and need sealant.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

I read it in a book i bought on LS1 and LS6's about removal and instalation and basically about anything anyone would need to know about them. And it said when re-installing the intake to do this. And I did look at a pair of LS1 heads I have and the holes are all the way through. I was just hoping maybe this would be my misfire problem. I have no clue why I have misfire. It throws a mutiple cylinder misfire code when I'm crusing in 3-6 gear around 2000-2500 rpm. Sometimes it will throw it in second gear but not as much. then the code will clear it's self after a couple of hours of driving.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Plugs, wires, coil packs?? I'm sure you have checked them out though.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

The wires and plugs are all brand new. The plugs came with the motor strait from GM Parts Depot. Wires are brand new from MSD. Coil packs are stock and have 95,000 miles on them. Injectors seem to be in good working order. The injector pulse width base one and two are the same across the board. It didn't start throwing the code until I put the new motor in. All grounds are tight. No clue what it is.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

What about low fuel presure? Maybe the fuel rail fitting is leaking. I didn't replace it when i put my new motor in. Or what about bad fuel injector o-rings
Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

misfire would not be because of an air leak, this is a spark problem.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Well what is the resistance in ohms of a stock coil pack be? Like a continuity check? Maybe one of my coil packs is bad. But that wouldn't cause it to be multiple cylinder would it. Maybe more than one is bad. Wouldn't a vaccum leak cause it to go lean? More air and the same ammount of fuel. But that would be preasure from the crank case if it's leaking from the manifold bolts, so would that mean oil pressure would be low (it's not). Or would the computer try to compensate for the extra air and add fuel. Sorry for all the questions. Sorta new to these newer motors.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone have any input? I really need to know what the ohms of resistance for a stock coil pack is.