Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fast 92/92 on 99 ls1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fast 92/92 on 99 ls1 advice

I've done as much searching as I can bear but a few things still concern me. I want to install f.a.s.t 92mm throttle body and intake manifold on my 99 ls1. I have SLP's cold air intake and smooth bellows on. From what I'm reading SLP's bellow should fit with everything I'm going to put on.

My main question is, is there anything I should be aware of or anything more I need to install the 92mm throttle body and intake manifold..like coolant tubes or plugs. More specifically do these parts work with the stock MAF? If not, what size/company MAF do I need and and recommended? If it's not needed, is it highly recommended I purchase a larger/improved one over the stock anyway?

I did see a post about the MAF but I wasn't able to extract enough information to understand it. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

i thought pretty much stock cars would actually lose low end torque with a fast intake....?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

FAST states that there is no loss of low end torque, but I would believe you guys if you said otherwise. I am going to call the company and TTP in NJ after new years to find out more about additional parts and advice I need to get this installed and for further advice. Just anxious and trying to get as much information as fast as possible.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Pretty much a straight up swap. Buy the LS6 Coolant lines. You might have to look into a different Bellows as the SLP is pretty stiff and it has to stretch out to fit the 92. Your stock MAF is just fine. You will probably want to tweak the tune a bit, As you will be introducing much more air flow.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Staples, what mods do you have now? None listed in your sig...

The Fast intake will give great gains if your heads/cam flow more than the LS6 intake can handle. If you have stock heads and cam I suggest spending money on other mods first.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Yea I just deleted that because the signature was outdated but I have SLP's cold air intake, lid, bellows and loudmouth exhaust. If I don't get a fast intake/tb then heads/cam or headers would be the only power modifications I could think of.

Needless to say, I'd have to do a lot of research to find the right heads/cam package, but I just felt and have had several people recommend doing the intake and tb first.

Who makes LS6 cooling lines and wider bellows?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get the ls6 coolant lines from one of the vendors, i know texas speed and thunderracing have them. You could also get them at a dealer, probably more expensive though.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staples
Yea I just deleted that because the signature was outdated but I have SLP's cold air intake, lid, bellows and loudmouth exhaust. If I don't get a fast intake/tb then heads/cam or headers would be the only power modifications I could think of.

Needless to say, I'd have to do a lot of research to find the right heads/cam package, but I just felt and have had several people recommend doing the intake and tb first.

Who makes LS6 cooling lines and wider bellows?
GM did a great job on the LS6 intake, it works a lot better than the LS1 & LS2 intakes. A lot of people with H/C keep their LS6 and still make great numbers. I would hold off on the fast intake until you really need it.

Headers would be a great next mod for you. They sound great and add power across the entire rev range. Definitely need cats to quiet down your LM cat-back though.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Teching In

I hear loudmouth exhaust and headers can rasp a bit but that's not my concern. My main concern, well my neighbor's and police's concern is how loud putting headers on would make the car. After that heads/cam might be more than I can afford right now. So noise and budget are pretty much why I'm steered towards a new tb and intake manifold.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the loudmouth with headers and an ORY is ungodly loud! you might think you want that now... but once you hear it, it will actually embarress you to drive it around.. it's one thing if it sounds good... but mine sounded like complete *** with the LM1, LT's, ORY setup...
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hear loudmouth exhaust and headers can rasp a bit but that's not my concern. My main concern, well my neighbor's and police's concern is how loud putting headers on would make the car. After that heads/cam might be more than I can afford right now. So noise and budget are pretty much why I'm steered towards a new tb and intake manifold.
Upgrading the heads and cam while leaving the stock exhaust manifolds is a bad idea. Lots of money, time and effort will be wasted.

A fast intake on an engine with stock exhaust manifolds doesn't make any sense either.

Maybe just put Nitrous on the car and be done with it.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I can never be done with it. Not a fan of nitrous either. Do pacesetter headers work with the stock y pipe?

I'm thinking avoid an ory because of the decibel levels, even though it's obviously not going to be as good as with an ory.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can never be done with it. Not a fan of nitrous either. Do pacesetter headers work with the stock y pipe?

I'm thinking avoid an ory because of the decibel levels, even though it's obviously not going to be as good as with an ory.
You don't want an ory anyway. An ory means you wont have cats and that is illegal and you wont pass inspection so noise violations from your local police will be the least of your worries. I'm running Hooker Lt's with TSP's catted y into a magnoflow exhaust and my car is super quiet. I have a friend who has flowtech LT's,ory, and a LM and the car sounds like a boat out of water.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

No long tube headers will work with the stock Y pipe - which is OK because the stock Y needs to come off IMHO.

If I was you I would sell the LM cat back and get any other cat back that has a real muffler (I think my magnaflow sounds good). Then pick a header and matching cat'd Y pipe from the same company. I got stainless LT's and cat'd Y because I live in new england. You can save money by getting plain steel but it's going to rust to hell eventually if you plan on keeping the car.

I can putt around my neighborhood quietly at 25mph and no one complains. Lots of kids/families around me. No problem. If you leave for work at 4:30am and your neighbor's house is 5 feet from yours you may have a problem. I think a harley on a cold start is louder than my car.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Take their advise buddy... don't waste you money on that FAST right now. A nice set of headers (pacesetter is what i am running) along with a catted "Y" if you are concerned, or your state requires one, along with say a Corsa catback, Magnaflow, etc..

Money well spent! Then move to cam,intake, etc...

JMO fwiw... Good luck
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

to the OP - have you read this sticky. it has a lot of good info:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-posting.html