Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Edelbrock manifold ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default new Edelbrock manifold ?

This was posted over on the Vette Forum, but I havent seen anyone here mention it.

Anyone know anything ??

Im copying and pasting basically from Robert56@RNS's posting over there. hope he doesnt mind.

With the out of the box claim of 25hp over a LS2 intake I imagine getting 40/50hp with a little porting would be a breeze? Might have to cut it open for some heavy porting for those that want max HP.

Here's some additional information:
retail Price: $430.00 (unbelievable compared to $2000.00 for sheet metal)
It's a high volume plenum-high velocity runners and 90mm TB deliver max HP and a flat broad torque curve from 1500rpm to 6500rpm. out of the box 25hp gain over the LS2 intake!
It's named XT EFI Manifold, for the GM Gen III IV series and part# 7139.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at it while at PRI,looks like a pretty decent piece,will work much better than a carb intake with an elbow on a f/i setup.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious.. why do people like these style intakes over a carb style, when the carb style has a more even air flow distribution.....ON my old Lt1 my plug would go nice to junk from front to back, and then I switch to a vic-e carb intake and the plugs stayed mint all the time....any ideas?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its awesome.
Its basically a stronger sheet metal intake for 1/4 price.
Im guessing needs a cowl hood?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

This intake manifold resembles the SBC intake (thought about converting one for my LT1) and they say they flow very well? From my understanding they would fit under the cowl? Might depend on how long those runners are though.
25hp gain is most likely at the Flywheel so they are claiming somewhere around 12-15rwhp over the LS2.

Here is the SBC version
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Wouldn't mind having that intake with a big 90mm+ sized TB on it. Use some large rails, etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Just curious.. why do people like these style intakes over a carb style, when the carb style has a more even air flow distribution.....ON my old Lt1 my plug would go nice to junk from front to back, and then I switch to a vic-e carb intake and the plugs stayed mint all the time....any ideas?
How would a carb style have more even airflow ? given its all different shapes ?

I have a carb intake on mine.....Im convinced an LS6 performs better though. But I like its looks, and given i'm running 2inj per cylinder now.....almost a necessity.

But if that manifold above was available...and anywhere near the price suggested. I wouldnt be long in welding one up to take my injectors.
That's one huge volume of air there.

As for cowl hood...I dont care. I reckon it'd fit my car lol
Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How would a carb style have more even airflow ? given its all different shapes ?

I have a carb intake on mine.....Im convinced an LS6 performs better though. But I like its looks, and given i'm running 2inj per cylinder now.....almost a necessity.

But if that manifold above was available...and anywhere near the price suggested. I wouldnt be long in welding one up to take my injectors.
That's one huge volume of air there.

As for cowl hood...I dont care. I reckon it'd fit my car lol
Cause the front cylinder suck up more air and slightly starve the rears...and in a carb intake the air goes in at the beginning on all the runners, so its more equal...this is what I was told and it since to be true in the case of my old motors.....does anyone else know about this?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

There was a myth that the stock manifold caused the lean failures of piston no 7.

Despite that the same problem occured when someone tested the stock manifold in a reversed position.

If air was blasted totally vertically into a carb intake, then perhaps it might be even.

with an elbow...I'd be less than convinced its even at all given the turns it has to make to get into the manifold.

A large open plenum, feeding nice straight runners has to be good on any boosted application. And probably n/a in terms of airflow...altho throttle response might suffer due to the large volume of air behind the throttle plate.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There was a myth that the stock manifold caused the lean failures of piston no 7.

Despite that the same problem occured when someone tested the stock manifold in a reversed position.

If air was blasted totally vertically into a carb intake, then perhaps it might be even.

with an elbow...I'd be less than convinced its even at all given the turns it has to make to get into the manifold.

A large open plenum, feeding nice straight runners has to be good on any boosted application. And probably n/a in terms of airflow...altho throttle response might suffer due to the large volume of air behind the throttle plate.

Well alot of people has a problem with the Lt1 intakes "which is just like anyother tunnel ram" and fowling out the rear plugs and when switched to a carb intake the issue was resolved. I'll never put anything but a carb style intake on a car again....I'm tired of changing plugs every weekend..
Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 PM
FormerVendor

the carbed intake only flows evenly if the air is pushed straight in from the top,when using a 90deg elbow the flow is very uneven.We have had to use up to 30% more fuel from one end to the other to get the egt's even.
With that said the frt tb tunnel ram style intake will have the same issues without some flow diverters installed inside the intake.
What i saying is you can modify the tunnel ram intake much easier than the carb style with elbow to get the distrubution more even.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
the carbed intake only flows evenly if the air is pushed straight in from the top,when using a 90deg elbow the flow is very uneven.We have had to use up to 30% more fuel from one end to the other to get the egt's even.
With that said the frt tb tunnel ram style intake will have the same issues without some flow diverters installed inside the intake.
What i saying is you can modify the tunnel ram intake much easier than the carb style with elbow to get the distrubution more even.
Cool, thanks for the good info.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Hell .. .way to go edelbrock !
Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Cool, thanks for the good info.
no problem
Old 12-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperZ
Im guessing needs a cowl hood?
I think it's going to need a good bit more than just a hood to clear it. For some odd reason I don't think Edelbrock had F-Bodies in mind when they were designing it.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

here you go

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...than-fast.html
Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

I like it.....

[/QUOTE]

Also pinched from the other thread...

[/QUOTE]

this really needs to be cast with a second set of bosses at high level. Either for nitrous mounting, or drilling for secondary injectors.

It wouldnt cost anything to cast them....but would give everyone more options....even if it did slightly hurt the appearance.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-01-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

So if the air has to come in straight from the top, do the Edlebrock elbows help with that. Cause the inside of the elbow has that divider in it. It almost makes it come in straight down
Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Here the money question,any word on one for a l92 setup and what tb patterns being offered.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

anyone measure the back of engine block to top of the cowl yet ?
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

doesnt look like that will fit fbodys

Quick Reply: new Edelbrock manifold ?