Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooking up an electric water pump wiring

Old 09-30-2003, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking up an electric water pump wiring

How do you hook up the wiring for a Meziere pump? Which wire goes where, and if you were to hook up a manual switch, how would you go about that? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Hooking up an electric water pump wiring

There are about a 100 different ways to wire a pump up. You should use a relay if you want to hook up a switch.

If you want just simple wiring so the pump comes on when the car is on, there is a fuse box in the front drivers side of the engine bay....right under the IGN relay is a big pink wire. Tap the blue wire from the meziere into that, ground the black wire, and you're set to go.

If you really need a switch, it'll get a bit more complicated if you want it to automatically come on when the car is on, AND also come on if an override switch is on.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks a lot! What is the best way to tap into the wire, sorry I don't know anything about wiring.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:09 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Well, a "hack" way to do it is to pull up the IGN relay, and put a small stripped bit of the wire under the pin that says 30 on it, then press the relay back into place and it holds it there. That 30 pin is "hot" when the car is on, and its dead when off.

Another way would be to pull up your fuse box and strip a section of the big pink wire going to that pin on the relay, then wrap the blue wire around the stripped section and solder it all up with an iron, and wrap the connection with heat shrink or tape.

Another way to do it is to use a relay, run a wire from the big red hot point in the engine bay (has a plastic sheild over it) to the relay input, on the output hook the blue wire up to it, and as the trigger wire you can tap into the small blue trigger wire (using a wire tap from autozone) that goes to the IGN relay (which is under the fuse box).

There are about 50 combinations of ways to do things...some people hate wire taps, some hate cutting wires, some can solder, some cant, some uses butt connectors, some dont.

I personally am soldering all my connections, and I'm not wiring it up for an extra switch. The full writeup should be posted soon...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hooking up an electric water pump wiring