Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help identifying engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help identifying engine

I just made a post a day or so ago asking about some complementing parts for my brothers car. I mentioned some stuff about an LS6 intake manifold only to find his car alreay has one. Here's the confusing part. I checked for the part numbers and the part number for his manifold leads to a Z06 LS6 manifold not an F-body. So basically here's my question. How can we figure out what motor is actually in this car? We kind of were thinking maybe a Z06 motor swap was done some time back but we're not sure. There's some real nice suspension work done to the car but it was bought from a dealer and we don't know what was done to the motor. I guess the car was traded in. It has boltons and what not but but the dealer didn't advertise as such or say anything about them so I doubt they would know if it had a different motor. It has a very mild idle so whatever cam it has is no doubt stock. Is there somewhere we can look to see what kind of block maybe or anything about the heads? Thanks for the help.

Zach
Old 01-03-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heads will say right on the front where they are bolting on to the block. If it is an ls6 intake it will fit the ls series motors.

THere is a casing number on the back of the block, but you can really see it unless you drop the tranny.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok they are the 241 heads so I guess whoever had this car before just put an LS6 manifold from a Z06 on it. Thanks