Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX Headers?

Hey, so I read the the eBay thing up top and I hope this doesn't go against the rules. I found some OBX headers on eBay that are long tube and include a Y pipe and what looks like cats. Can anyone verify what these bulbous things are and what gains I could expect from getting them? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-H...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, it does go against the rules, so most likley the link will be gone soon.
As mentioned many times before, they are not 'cats', the are simply 'resonators'.

Read about them again.
Gains would be as typical as with any 1-3/4" /primary long-tube installation. I'm guessing 15-30hp gain. Could be more, could be less. How's that for a stupid answer?!? LoL, ...
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

I didn't expect much because it was a stupid question, I appreciate it though. So if they're resonators then do you think my stock cats would fit back in there? I still wanna be legal.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No, the stock cats will not fit back in there. (Not without some good cut/weld.)
You can find aftermarket hi-flow cats all over. Need to make sure what size you'll need to tho, & then find a place to get them in the line-up in the y-pipe.

What US-state are you in? Do they check for that in your location?

Fitting cats in place of the resonators would require more work by the install team. Cut/weld time to take out resonators & put cats back in.

You'd be better off in the long-run just to look at the more standard Pacesetter brand maybe?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

They normally don't check around here. I'm in Arkansas. It's pretty much an anything goes state as far as exhaust goes. I've never heard of anyone being checked anyways. I think I'll have a look at the pacesetters. My only thing is my dad owns an automotive shop and I try to keep most of my mods in the dark from him. He respects power, but not mods on my car for whatever reason. I don't want my emissions system messing up or anything. Any header advice?