Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed knock sensors(pulled intake) car wont idle properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed knock sensors(pulled intake) car wont idle properly

OK guys, i pulled my FAST 92 to change my knock sensors, put it all back together car seemed to run ok (after i plugged my map sensor in) test drove it all was well. DID notice it was idling a little lower though, and died on me once or twice.

Car is still on mail order tune until friday.

I came home today, car wont idle, just seems to surge and die at idling rpms. Let it warm completely up. No codes, map reading is good, MAF reading is good. Checked the back vacuum source, seemed to be ok. No plugs undone.

Any clues? only I jacked with out of the ordinary was the throttle body(adjuster) but i would turn it up (to have constant 3% throttle) still wont run.

any ideas.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have a vacuum leak somewhere. Start checking all hoses running off the manifold. If everything still seems fine start spraying carb clean along the base where the manifold meets the head. If the car starts revving when you do that you need to pull the manifold and either try and reseal it or replace the gaskets and reseal.

That's an easy test that should only take you a minute or 2
Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

thanks, I will check this in the morning, its cold, dark outside, im only one here, and I need someone to hold throttle a little bit so it will run LOL.

would I be ok spraying ether around the intake?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuing you are reusing your crushed intake gaskets? If so you prolly have a vacuum leak. But if you did it would throw a code. At least it did on my mustang when i reused my crushed intake gaskets
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Gaskets should be reusable on the fast. Or so I think.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

UPDATE;

started car this morning, ran golden! put it in all gears, didnt die. Had a little bit of normal cam surge (as it was warming up). Killed it, put up some tools, started it back up...SAME stuff. inconsistent idle, dies, occasionally it will idle, but as soon as I put it in gear it immediately dies. sprayed some ether around intake, when it was running ok, all seemed to be well. I removed the TB, and sensors, reattaching them carefully and not overtightening them.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get this figured out yet?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

yep, seemed to be a combo of tuning, and resetting the battery and the PCM relearning everything.