Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is LS6 Valley Cover worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is LS6 Valley Cover worth it?

I have my motor completely disassembled right now. I am debating buying the ls6 valley cover and grinding down the block to make it fit while it is bare. I already have the ls6 coolant lines. I have never run a catch can and didn't plan on it now. Would it be worth the $60-70 to buy the cover now or should I put the money towards a catch can instead?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed the LS6 valley cover. The aluminum shavings go everywhere when you cut that piece out. I did a good job covering things up but I don't think it's really worth the risk of getting some aluminum shavings in your motor. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

My block is completely bare. I am in the process of rebuilding the bottom end so now would be the best time IMO because I could clean all the shavings out. Did you have a noticeable difference in oil consumption?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say go for it.. as long as you got it down that far, another $60-$75 is worth it. I will also clean up the engine bay by getting rid of some of them hoses on the valve covers.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poolshark021
My block is completely bare. I am in the process of rebuilding the bottom end so now would be the best time IMO because I could clean all the shavings out. Did you have a noticeable difference in oil consumption?
Right, the shavings aren't as big a deal for you then. I would do it. Still cover things up good, don't want shavings left over anywhere.

I still add oil between changes. My oil pan gasket is weeping a bit - I lose some there. All I seem to get in my catch can is condensation.