Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP question.

Hope someone can help. Have qtp stainless scavenger headers. problem is one tube on each side is only welded about 3/4 around. The unmetered air is screwing up the tune. Does any one know of a certain welding style or welder that can reach into the collector from the front side to correct this only flaw?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

I assume you mean the merge assembly where the 4 tubes meet?
I had the same problem; it’s a quality control problem QTP seems to have on a regular basis. Three of the tubes are placed inside the merge and welded all around the circumference of each tube, the last one is inserted and is welded around the outside circumference, but isn't welded in between the tubes (the side adjacent to the other three tubes) because it’s virtually impossible to weld in this area as the tubes are so close together. The original design was for the tube to be a "slip" fit - the female tube ID just slightly larger than the OD of the male tube such that they just fit together with light resistance. If done this way there isn't a leak.
QTP likes to over-swedge the female about 0.050" to 0.060" (0.030" per side slop) to ensure there are no fitment problems during assembly - at least my set was like this. I couldn't get any help from QTP ("it’s supposed to be that way-the gap will close up when it gets hot!" LMAO) so I went to AZ and found some 2500 degree manifold/muffler patch and took a long popsicle stick and forced it in between the pipe junction and it worked.

Last edited by Weezzer; 01-15-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Teching In

I'd lmao to. Thats way too big of a gap to close with heat. Thanks for the product and process. Now what's AZ? Sorry new to site.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by phntom2k
I'd lmao to. Thats way too big of a gap to close with heat. Thanks for the product and process. Now what's AZ? Sorry new to site.
Auto Zone
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Sorry just figured it out but saw u had replyed. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

so how long will this 2500 degree putty actually hold up? Anyone try to have it brazed?