Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: TD's or Y pipe?
true duals
76.67%
Y pipe and catback, possibly a cutout
23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

True Duals vs y pipe setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals vs y pipe setup

first of all, yes i know TD's are better. the only reason im debating this because i think the rear looks like **** without some pipes coming out the back. I know you can extend them to go out the back but I hear that is alot more expensive and a pain in the ***.

what im thinking of doing is going with a traditional LT, ORY setup with a catback. then throw a cutout on the y pipe for the track or when i feel like pissing off the neighbors.

Also is the sound and Performance that much of a difference between TD's and a y-pipe? and with LT's, ORY and a 408 sound like **** with a cutout at the ypipe?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

Just so you know guys this is going on my 408. it will be taken to the track quite a bit but also driven on the street alot too. looking for atleast 500rwhp.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Seeing that you have a Camaro, I'd just go with the dumps. It's a bit different with a T/A where there's slots for tips.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the TSP kit and dump them at the axles, most exhaust shops will probably extend them to the rear for around 200-300 from what I've read. So, TSP = 450 or so, exhaust shop = 300. You have a rear ending dual exhaust for around 700-800. This is the path I'll be going during the summer if all goes well.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

A y-pipe setup that is done correctly, and has a cut-out in the i-pipe with equally perform any true dual setup. The y-merge collector should parallel before merging to the i-pipe, for best performance. True duals are annoying for a daily driver. There are guys running 9's on a y-pipe setup with slp dual-dual catbacks. I personally plan to copy what Pat G has done with his y-pipe setup, but only go with 3.5" i-pipe.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by titter
A y-pipe setup that is done correctly, and has a cut-out in the i-pipe with equally perform any true dual setup. The y-merge collector should parallel before merging to the i-pipe, for best performance. True duals are annoying for a daily driver. There are guys running 9's on a y-pipe setup with slp dual-dual catbacks. I personally plan to copy what Pat G has done with his y-pipe setup, but only go with 3.5" i-pipe.
wow very miss informed, a y pipe set up will not out perform a dual set up. The more power you make the bigger diffreence it is. I have pacesetter and a tsp kit and it's not that loud at all. My friend has a slp loud mouth exhaust and his is way louder.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by titter
Justin,

Doesn't Punta Gorda mean fat *****?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

do you think that sacrificing the looks would be worth the sound/performance of TD's?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Yes. I think so. I personally don't care for the dumped look nor care for the drone. IMO I don't think TDs sound any better then a nice y pipe setup.

Last edited by Sicko; 01-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Imo, If you want to worry about getting pulled over for an extremely loud car go with true duals. If not keep the y setup with a cutout. I may sell off my true duals and go with a y setup. That way I can drive the car and not get a headache.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dumped duals with one chambers, sweet thunders, or pro flow twister mufflers. y setups have too much rasp for me and none I've heard sound that great behind longtubes. The only one I really liked was the sound of the loudmouth on a stock manifold/cat/y pipe car but I put headers on that car and a ory and its just obnoxious now. All of my cars have dumped duals except for my dd and my nova(bone stock). Nothing compares sound wise.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
dumped duals with one chambers, sweet thunders, or pro flow twister mufflers. y setups have too much rasp for me and none I've heard sound that great behind longtubes. The only one I really liked was the sound of the loudmouth on a stock manifold/cat/y pipe car but I put headers on that car and a ory and its just obnoxious now. All of my cars have dumped duals except for my dd and my nova(bone stock). Nothing compares sound wise.
I have mods in sig with Sweet Thunders dumped at axle. Sounds like a full out drag car. I get compliments from everyone, Mostly from the cam sound. But it gets old pretty quick. On the highway in 6th it isn't so bad, but the rear end is louder at 70 mph.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

i like the way camaros look without tips but not a t/a. my setup now sounds great but i am worried that it will get annoying with a h/c setup.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Launching!

i've had tsp true duals for 2 years and i love them and get compliments all the time. if i even mention that i want to go back to ypipe people tell me i'm crazy. get duals and run'em out the back and you'll never be sorry.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allblacksrt4
wow very miss informed, a y pipe set up will not out perform a dual set up. The more power you make the bigger diffreence it is. I have pacesetter and a tsp kit and it's not that loud at all. My friend has a slp loud mouth exhaust and his is way louder.

he is not miss informed

I bet you I can make more power with a y pipe than with duals. Maybe only 1 or 2hp, but I bet I can do it with a good Flowmaster merge with a 4" outlet.

This is one of mine. I bet you an X or H wil not scavenge like this. Both banks flow parrallel instead of colliding like an x.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i love my duals but cab noise is on the high side and camaros with no tips look great.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
i love my duals but cab noise is on the high side and camaros with no tips look great.
its weird, i have seen alot of other camaros with no tips that look fine but for some reason i think my own car looks like crap without them. maybe i just need to get an SS spoiler. also ive noticed my rear bumper tends to sag quite a bit. I got rear ended over the summer and the bumper was replaced but it still sags. i also noticed it sagged before anything happened. It kinda looks like its supposed to be like that but at the same time it looks off.

Will kooks LT 1 7/8x2 headers hook up to TSP True duals? and would it be possible to run dumps but then later extend them out the back?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TD's without comparison....
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
its weird, i have seen alot of other camaros with no tips that look fine but for some reason i think my own car looks like crap without them. maybe i just need to get an SS spoiler. also ive noticed my rear bumper tends to sag quite a bit. I got rear ended over the summer and the bumper was replaced but it still sags. i also noticed it sagged before anything happened. It kinda looks like its supposed to be like that but at the same time it looks off.

Will kooks LT 1 7/8x2 headers hook up to TSP True duals? and would it be possible to run dumps but then later extend them out the back?
Its possible. But Like a few guys said a flowmaster merge y pipe is a great exhaust setup. Im doing it on mine with a 4in I. then a bullet or possible 2 if its too loud and then a turndown. If you want tips running a good flowmaster merge then a cutout will get you the power you want. then you can run a reducer and W/e catback you want.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
I have mods in sig with Sweet Thunders dumped at axle. Sounds like a full out drag car. I get compliments from everyone, Mostly from the cam sound. But it gets old pretty quick. On the highway in 6th it isn't so bad, but the rear end is louder at 70 mph.
I can understand it getting old if its your daily driver. I bought a dd so that my hod rods could be loud. I know what they sound like. My friend had a 01 Trans Am, heads, cam, stall with kooks and the tsp 3" dumped dual kit with sweet thunders. I went on quite a few trips with him in it and over 3,000 rpm, it was LOUD. However, it was the best sounding automatic LS1 car that I've heard.

Click here to watch Jimmys-Trans-Am

Quick Reply: True Duals vs y pipe setup