Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 removal from the top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ls1 removal from the top?

i know its not recommended but it is possible right? remove rad. maybe longblock all acc. gone take. even seperate the trans anyone ever done this before?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya actually got done doing this to a buddies car and it wasn't to bad. dropped the tranny, removed the radiator/tranny cooler and AC condenser and take everything off the motor including the intake manifold and its a cinch!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Done it several times and not a problem.... I just removed the radiator, all accesories and disconnected the tranny and came out like a snap.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frankmarroquin
Done it several times and not a problem.... I just removed the radiator, all accesories and disconnected the tranny and came out like a snap.
x2 ive pulled mine twice out the top.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much much much easier out the top unless you have a lift. You need a lot of jackstands and good jacks to drop the K, plus you need to disconnect the brakes which is extra bleeding.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes - just did it.

Remove the lid, TB, coilpacks & plug wires. Then the intake manifold assembly (fuel rails & injectors included - do gently so you don't break the cam & other sensors in the back of the motor) and remove the radiator and belt driven accessories, except the AC condenser (you can let it sit on the front sway bar). Then we pulled the motor and trans together. Wasn't too bad really, and that was my first time. As long as you have the right tools and a mechanically inclined buddy helping its not bad.

I would highly recommend the QTP lift plate and you'll need the 5/16" fuel line disconnector (you can get at Autozone).
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack

I would highly recommend the QTP lift plate and you'll need the 5/16" fuel line disconnector (you can get at Autozone).
I would highly NOT recommend the QTP lift plate. I ordered one and when I went to use it, only a few of the bolt holes actually lined up so I could only use a couple of the bolts. I dont know about you, but when trying to lift my motor out, I don't want to half *** it with half the bolts. I contacted them about it and they told me I'm SOL basically and were complete dicks about it. They stated that it must have been "warped" in shipping. I replied telling that I could toss this damn piece of stainless off a building and it would only scratch, no way in hell it would "warp" in shipping. Thing was so sturdy my power drill couldn't even open up the holes to make them fit, no way it warped. I contacted them again and they replied, "Sorry, must have warped in shipping." I was in awe. Aweful fitment with even worse customer service. Never dealing with them again!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

autozone fuel disconnector tool works like a champ

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
10 Second Club

Ive done it a few times.

Plus I got tired of waiting to hear back from QTP about their plate, so I got my buddy to fab me one up real quick one day at work. Works excellent!

Old 01-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very easy, no need to remove hood either unless you want to, one person job in and out, just take your time.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superman09
I would highly NOT recommend the QTP lift plate. I ordered one and when I went to use it, only a few of the bolt holes actually lined up so I could only use a couple of the bolts. I dont know about you, but when trying to lift my motor out, I don't want to half *** it with half the bolts. I contacted them about it and they told me I'm SOL basically and were complete dicks about it. They stated that it must have been "warped" in shipping. I replied telling that I could toss this damn piece of stainless off a building and it would only scratch, no way in hell it would "warp" in shipping. Thing was so sturdy my power drill couldn't even open up the holes to make them fit, no way it warped. I contacted them again and they replied, "Sorry, must have warped in shipping." I was in awe. Aweful fitment with even worse customer service. Never dealing with them again!
Too bad, I had better luck I guess. My lift plate worked great.

For the benefit of the OP, they also sell a similar lift plate at TPIS, same concept.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blanco,

You offer a lift plate or where to get one? We had one for Buicks that bolted to the top of the intake plenum that made it a snap.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Launching!

thats how mine was remover last time. and thats also how it will installed. its not that bad actually.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Blanco,

You offer a lift plate or where to get one? We had one for Buicks that bolted to the top of the intake plenum that made it a snap.
I am having one developed yes , I did mine without a plate but will be using one this time around. Most likely I'll make it for rental although I can have them for purchase as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Different places to hook on is the key. I have a leveller too so that would be a nice option.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive done both ways, and imo over the top is the easiest
i pull the trans and engine attached, i do it even for clutch/tq coverter swaps. easier for me to pull the whole motor and trans for any work.
might as well find something else to replace
good excuse to swap in rod bolts, poly mounts, valve springs, etc.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

How long does it take you guys? A friend of mine who has done it several times says he can do it in 30 minutes but I think he is pulling my leg.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never removed my hood. took it out the top with the t56 attached, with only the intake mani off. not 30 mins my first time took me 2 hours
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

do the heads need to be removed before pulling the engine?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

no thats where i attached the chain to pull the motor out

i attached one side to the front driver side head and the other end to the back passenger side

Quick Reply: ls1 removal from the top?