Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting an LS6 intake! Do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Finally getting an LS6 intake! Do I need a tune?

Hey guys, mods are in my sig, finally knocking something off my to do list and getting the LS6 intake manifold. I've done all my searches and think I should nail the install. One thing I was wondering is if I don't get a tune afterwards, is my SES light gonna come on I'm thinkin it might come on for a bit, but then after I run it a while and the computer learns the new air flow it will go away. Oh, and when I get it, I'm gonna race my similarly modded brother's 2001 T/A before and after the install and record it and post it up so all the people askin, "how much of a difference does the LS6 intake manifold make?" can finally have an answer with video comparison. Heres a race we did about a month ago, few diggs and roll races from inside and outside the cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJF2J39i_0
Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

A tune would more than likely give you a little more power after doing the swap, but it isn't necessary. Bob
Old 01-24-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Bob, appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd that, have you already purchased the SLP LT's? if not you may want to reconsider your choice... just a warning
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bouvs
2nd that, have you already purchased the SLP LT's? if not you may want to reconsider your choice... just a warning
3rd that... you will pick up a few more rwhp... but nothing worth spending 300+ bucks on... car will run just fine...
i installed a ported FAST 90/90 on mine, the idle was a little high but nothing too noticeable..

i wouldnt do the SLP's either.. its just a name..
Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, I didn't do the long tubes yet. I'm doing long tubes/ dyno tune this summer. I heard that the newly designed SLP Long tubes are great and are comparable to American Racing Headers in quality and design and are around the same price?
I'm goin stainless though, I know that. All I see in threads is this "Yeah my pacesetters are ok, but if I could do it over I would have spent the money and done it right the first time."
Old 01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

You don't need a tune....

Don't feel disappointed when you don't a great SOTP difference
Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
No, I didn't do the long tubes yet. I'm doing long tubes/ dyno tune this summer. I heard that the newly designed SLP Long tubes are great and are comparable to American Racing Headers in quality and design and are around the same price?
I'm goin stainless though, I know that. All I see in threads is this "Yeah my pacesetters are ok, but if I could do it over I would have spent the money and done it right the first time."
yea but you dont see people saying "Pacesetter are ok but i wish i woulda bought SLPs"...

if you want something good, dont buy pacesetters or SLPs.. they are just so so... buy something good.. kooks or something
Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a basic tune to delete the egr code. otherwise its not needed. the LS6 flow is still well within the capability of the stock pcm to compensate.

if its running weird after you install your intake dont assume "its ok its just gotta relearn the new airflow". i made the same assumption when i installed my LS6 intake and it was that way for a few weeks. meanwhile my long term fuel adaptive was +25%. that attributed to about 9 mpg. it ended up being a vacuum leak. fixed it and immediately ran perfectly.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only problem I have had with my ~$300 pacesetters is that they started to rust some underneath but some quality exhaust paint took care of that!

If you're not going H/C anytime soon you might get a tune after the intake and headers. But, it your set up is changing soon beyond that you might as well just wait so you don't have to have the tune done twice.