Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 WS6 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 WS6 Exhaust

Im thinking about getting new exhaust on my 02 Trans am and i was just wondering which should i get. im thinking about SLP Loudmouth1 with SLP y pipe but im not sure yet
Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the slp lm on my 98 ta and love it. I've had 4 ls1's and this is the first time i used slp before. I wouldn't recommend the y-pipe. waist of money, stick with the stock. The loudmouth sounds really good and easy to install. about 1-2 hours if you just cut the old exhaust off. the slp is also a larger in diameter set up than stock so it's kind of a tight fit, especially around the axel.Mine was rubbing on it, i cut up an old welders glove and wrapped it around, worked perfect. Hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

I have heard alot of great things about the LM1 over the years but,once you start adding headers and catless Y pipe...It starts to become a real love it or hate it kind of sound.

If you are just doing the catback,don't bother with the Y pipe. I wouldn't bother with the Y pipe until you are ready for headers...IF you would want to go that far in your set up of course.

Good luck on your choices!
Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

What about GMMG chambered exhaust which one is better people say GMMG sounds better but its cost crap load then people say LM1 is cheaper but it doesnt sound the best little help please
Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

those are two TOTALLY different sounds. LM1 is noisy cracky and raspy in my opinion.

Best all around cat-back out there, Magnaflow sounds healthy suprisingly clean sound and is a cheap $ and good quality. I would start with them as a base decission and then go from there. LS1sounds is decent but can be very misleading at times... the best thing you can do is find other LS1's around you with aftermarket exhaust and come to a conclusion.

Myself I prefer a deep throaty yet clean sound which I would say Borla can supply buts its $$$. Corsa (what I have) Is loud, free flowing and barks! sound awesome wide open but can be VERY raspy at times which I want to change.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I love my Corsa with Dynatech LT's, I don't get any rasp either, which some people seem to have a problem with Corsa. I think a lack of cats contribute to the rasp, and I have cats on mine.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

The cats really do make a big difference in how loud a system is and how raspy it gets especially when adding long tubes...

Some people end up welding a dynomax bullet muffler in the I pipe when running a catless setup because it will clear up alot of the rasp and still flow very well.

But as far as catbacks go and which is best...That comes down to a few points to consider.

I would suggest a system that is stainless and fits your budget.That (like mentioned) seems to point to Magnaflow many times...Only problem I have ever heard from Magnaflow owners is that some consider it to be too quiet.But other than that Magnaflow puts out some really good stuff.

As far as to which sounds best,that really is a personal choice man...some people love it ear bleeding loud and some people just want a nice medium rumble.

A nice economical set up that many people use where I live is to have LT's,catless Y pipe and a dynomax bullet dumped through a cut out...I like this set up because of a few reasons...

1. Other than the headers,it's not that expensive at all.

2. It sounds really nice and loud but a deep loud, and not that ear bleeding bite you usually get with a catless Y,headers and a cutout.

3. It probably flows just as well as any catback setup out there.

4. You can close the cutout either manually or with an electric cutout controlled from inside the car and be right back to an almost stock volume level in no time.Very handy on long trips,traveling with your Wife/GF or going into shhhhhhhhhhh mode around eager law enforcement officers...etc..

Drawbacks to the set up to me is that, in many areas it's illegal to have a cutout much less going catless and you don't get any nice looking fancey tips (but you could always buy them if you want).

Anyways,those are my suggestions...hope it helps.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

It's all personal preference. I did have the magnaflow but it was REALLY quiet, ditched it for the lm setup, and don't have any regrets. Just as a fair warning though, if the air temp goes below about 40, it will pop and crackle a little bit on some revs and decel.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with MJK above - usually personal choice. I have the gmmg's and wouldn't switch but there are less costly alternatives that probably sound as good (or better) to some people. Decide on your budget and listen to different ones in person or some sound clips on the Internet and go with what you like.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

my theory on the subject is that if longtubes and o/r Y is in your future then lm1 are gonna be too raspy and loud, so the lm2 will be perfect. if you just want a catback then the lm1 will be just right. but thats my .02
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

It is a love/hate thing. I love it! If you decide it is too loud when you buy headers/ory, slp sells just the lm2 muffler that will slip right into place. I say LM1 all the way. I have had it on a 98 SS with stock manifolds/cats. And also have it on the ws6 with headers/cats. It is very loud but I like it.