Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb style intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb style intake

I started looking at carb style intakes for the LS engine but still keeping it fuel injected, what kind of throttle body or adapter do these use?

the reason im looking at an intake like this is because im looking at doing an older trans am with a functional shaker hood, or would i just be farther ahead do use a regular style intake and throttle body and modify the shaker to fit?

Thanks

Shawn
Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

You can get what looks like the old TBI units, but without the injectors. They bolt up to carb style intakes and have the necessary accessories like IAC. I believe they're just called 'universal' throttle bodies. The big names like Edelbrock, Holley, FAST all make them. Google for 'efi throttle body' and you'll find them.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Teching In

You can go with something like this throttle body, no need to have you're intake converted and the linkage works like a carb.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

A donwside to that throttle body setup is the injectors are so close to the TB, it is basically like a TBI setup, and that is very close to a carb setup and that is why the TBI was not very efficient. The placement of the injectors so high up, they are gonna lose some efficiency. I personally would not run that setup, even though it IS convenient if trying to convert a carb manifold over to EFI. My .02
Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Here is another example
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got an L88 induction hood on my 68 vette.
I'm using the LS1 intake with a custom air tube that turns back over the intake. Instead of coil coves, I'm building a full engine cover that will house a flat filter over the intake.
I've got the intake tube and engine cover made out of fiberglass but still have to make the filter housing.
You can see the foam form of the tube in this pic. The MAF fits on the open end.
Just another option......