Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of Duals Over Alxe Needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of Duals Over Alxe Needed

Please show me pics of Dual over the axle. I really need pics of them with one pipe going over the axle on each side (one on driver side and one on pass side. The exhaust shop I go to said they would do it for $500 with the mufflers! Also should I do and X pipe on it and if I do where should i put it. They told me they have done it before and it turned out great. I just put on my jet hots and Y and the rasp sucks.

Also what is everyone with 3 inch collectors running for there set up 3 inch all the way back? O do they reduce it to 2 1/2 inch pipe. I heard 3 inch is just an overkill. Thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Pics of Duals Over Alxe Needed

Yup. Rasp sucks, which is why I did it, too. If your shop does traditional bends, it will probably look something like mine once completed:

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/Vinnie/truedual.html

Some things to watch for:

1) Clearence issue on the driver's side. Some have removed the upper panhard rod or, at the very least, notched it. I chose to drop the lower panhard rod since I did not want to sacrifice any handling.

2) Fuel lines. If they run the pipes too close to the fuel lines, you are asking for trouble if the lines get too hot. I solved it by reversing the fuel line brackets and routing the lines higher up in the axle well.

3) Mounting points. Had to drill through the floorpan underneath the rear seats to install hangers so I could remove the tailpipes if I wanted to.

4) Flanges. Makes it it easier to remove the system for painting or whatever, and also allows access to the drivetrain (transmisson, clutch, etc.) without the need to cut the pipes.

5) Catalytic converters. Had to hammer the underside of the car somewhat and also move the metal shield for the fuel lines (now spot welded instead of bolted) in order to fit the 3" cat on the driver's side. You won't necessarily have to do this if you have shorty headers.

6) Modular design. My next step is to add flanges after the converters and have straight pipes made so I can remove the cats, remove the tailpipes, and dump the full 3" system before the axles for off-road use (drag strip or roadcoarse). This is why I had no problem going with 2 1/2" pipes over the axle. I'll have dyno numbers for both street trim and track trim at some point.

That's all I can think of right now. If I think of something else, I'll amend or modify this post. Have fun!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

That looks great... I'm considering doing this as well, just not sure what all needs to be done before hand. I have Mac headers and will be dumping the exhaust via cutout before the back axle, but I want the tips out back for appearances.

Is it better to have a shop customize this or order an X-Pipe from one of our sponsors? TIA.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post